Why is putting up a curtain pole so HARD ! HELP...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never worked this one out.

How on earth are you meant to put a curtain pole up over a window when it has a solid lintel !

My Dad cheated and attached the pole mounting to the ceiling... But surely there is another way.

I mean no drill or drill bit that I own is going to make a hole in a lintel..

Sponsored Links
Arghh.

I've seen SDS drill bits, but I take it I need one of those high power drills to go with it..

All this for a curtain pole !

seems weird

Sponsored Links
And don't forget good drill bits. I use Cobalt bits, they get through pretty much anything. But yes agreed, needs an SDS drill, for the DIY'er like myself, you can get one for about 30-35 quid.

Sounds good. Take heart, having a tough surface to drill into is better than having a surface in which the drill sinks into as if it wasn't there at all. This sort of situation can be loads more work to sort out.

Personally wouldn't bother with a cordless SDS, you need the power, cordless drills simply don't give you that.

Actually Edward, when we had windows fitted I was most impressed with the sds cordless drill our fitter used ... but on second thoughts you are right for the price range contemplated here ... The one I saw, Bosch or De-Walt I am unsure ?? Was obviously a 'professional' (heavy / high duty) device, which BTW the fitter (a local carpenter) praised as being on par with the best tools in his kit !! It certainly made short work of drilling all media, and driving the screws ..
P

I went for this one from INDEX

Yes I know, not normally what you would expect, however for the SPEC and price it was unbeatable.. beat screwfix, toolstation etc..

I ALSO GOT AN EXTRA 10% off from www.hotukdeals.com

351388v04.jpg

800 watt SDS hammer drill
Originally £34.99
Now £29.99
Save 14%
SDS hammer drill - drills masonry and concrete plus it chisels too!
800 watts, 0-850rpm, SDS plus - 3 drill bits, 2 chisel bits, safety clutch adjustable front handle, impact frequency of 3150 blows per minute, includes case TOOLS OF THE TRADE helpline: 0871 871 0848.
cat no : 351-388

Don't know if anyone is still going to see this but I'd love to know if this problem was solved as I'm totally stumped by the same thing now!

I've bought a hammer drill (B&Q own brand 710W with unnecessary laser device) but it's really not done the job!

Do I need some industrial drill? Or do I need to go from the ceiling or something?

SDS drill, good quality bit, may need a bit to drill through metal, if you hit the steel rods in the lintel. But normal corded drills (DIY) often won't touch a lintel.

either get a reasonably priced corded SDS, there are decent cordless SDS machines out there but they cost or as Eddie says cobalt bits, but dont use them on hammer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back