Drilling for Dryzone being a pain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening.

We currently have rising damp in our house. There is this;

Also the floor in the kitchen is bubbling, as is the wallpaper. We've had people check with the little tricorders and it says the walls are damp.

We've been told the cause is due to the old home owners laying flags down right on top of the yard. So there's no 2 brick gap between the yard and house. The DPC has been breached. We've corrected that issue now and are proceeding to sort the DPC.

I'm going to inject Dryzone. I started drilling and was only able to get about half way in before the walls started bleeding red dust. What I'm thinking is the inner wall doesn't match the outer wall. So I drill through mortar on one side and into brick the other. Dryzone says to drill into mortar and inject into that. Every time I drill I get half way and the wall bleeds red.

It's an old Victorian house and the back wall has had a lot of work done on it. The door has been removed and put elsewhere. Brickwork is completely inconsistent.

I'm not sure whether to carry on and just drill the holes, fill and hope for the best or what.

Sponsored Links
If you have corrected the problem with the flag stones then surely there is no need for all this extra work. Just wait for it to all dry out.

Sponsored Links
If you have corrected the problem with the flag stones then surely there is no need for all this extra work. Just wait for it to all dry out.

It's been a year almost and the damp is still visible. The flags were put in over 12 years ago and we were told that they caused the DPC to fail so we needed new DPC.

How deep are you actually drilling?

190mm based on the Dryzone guidelines for a 220mm wall.

I don't think our wall looks anything like this;

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34549&start=0

Thanks. I'll have a read.

Something I just noticed was the internal back room wall has visible damp but on the other side of that wall in the kitchen there isn't any. I don't understand why damp would come in from outside and only sit in that one side, not both.

The bricks outside all look dry.

It may well be your drilling at a slight angle. Have you checked under carpets etc is there any pipes running underneath?

It may well be your drilling at a slight angle. Have you checked under carpets etc is there any pipes running underneath?

No carpets. Just laminate. Looked like a solid concrete floor when we had laminate put in.

Spoke with Dryzone people and they said just do the holes closer together to be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back