Drilling hole in Thin Stainless.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to drill 1 hole for the tail or a mixed kitchen tap in one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/64630785/

I've got to get it right first time.

What type of drill bit do I need? (I expect it'll be 28mm but I dont' know what 'type' I need to cut a hole like that.)

Any general advice on how to avoid ****ing it up?

Sponsored Links
Hope others come and add some more. My first thought would be a hole saw and lots of lube. SS is hard on tool bits and I would expect it to take the edge off the hole saw so you may need a second. You could always Google the question?
Pete
I ment to add, put some masking tape over the area before you start and take it slow.

Sponsored Links
A Q-Max sheet metal punch
140.jpg

or a decent quality hole saw, run slowly (about 200 - 400 RPM), with a good dose of cutting lube should do the job.

Stainless usually cuts quite nicely unless you spin the cutter too fast, then it starts heating up, work hardens and wrecks the cutter.

If using a hole saw, I would clamp a substantial bit of scrap timber to the back of the job to support the pilot and stop it snatching and running out of true as the saw breaks through the metal.

Looks like they recommend punching it out instead, (and the hole seems to be 35mm, so might be worth checking first!).

On the page you linked to;

Key features
- Sink in stainless steel; hygienic, durable, resistant and easy to clean.
- There is no predrilled hole in the sink unit, giving you a free choice of placing the mixer tap.
- To make a hole for the kitchen mixer tap FIXA 2-piece tool set can be recommended; sold separately.

Searching the site for that gives you this page: FIXA 2-piece Tool Set

Hope that helps :)

EDIT ...and thats what happens when you reply to an empty thread, then get distracted chatting to a colleague before clicking [Submit] :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back