Drilling hole through angled soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to fit a new svp this week, it will run up the gable end wall and needs to finish above the roofline due to the gable window upstairs.

I don't want to swan neck it around the fascia as I don't like the look.

This means I need to drill a vertical hole through the soffit which will be at an angle to the svp. Is there a proper technique for this or is it just eye balling it as best as possible with a hole saw?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
I’d probably go multitool, although if it’s the hollow (tonge and groove look) soffit they’re pretty flimsy so be careful. Doesn’t this mean you’ll also need to do some kind of lead collar to flash it up through the tiles?

It's hollow soffit, it's on the end of our new extension, cutting from above could work, guess I'd still need to eyeball a hole up through the soffit from below so I can see where to drill down to.

Yes I'll need to add a lead weathering covers to the tiles but that's not really an issue.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Be careful trying to cut hollow soffit when it's cold as it can chip very easy.

Fine teeth or a carbide or diamond saw and a very high speed, but there are collars available if you decide to rough cut the hole.

I'm expecting to fit a snap on collar below butting upto the soffit and a lead weathering cover on the tile above

AAV isn't an option, I'm the end of a 6 house sewer arrangement and non of the other houses have a vented svp so I will have to, I don't mind having it vented just need to get it through the soffit tidely.

I'm not sure how well a snap collar will work on an angle either, I suspect it'll need some fettling but there cheap enough to experiment with, worst case I'll get some white plastic and make something suitable with it and bond it in place.

Sure you’re already aware but a tight swan neck that just clears the fascia looks a lot neater than one with a massive offset and should be pretty discreet

IMG_20240213_104959.jpg

IMG_20240213_105012.jpg

IMG_20240213_105022.jpg

Managed to get it done, ended up running the pipe up to just short of the soffit then used a straight edge to mark onto the soffit then eyeballed the centre with the hole saw.

Finished it with a pipe snug, had to cut the rubber fins off it so I was just left with the flanged piece then put a cut in the back of it, fixed it in place with sticky expanding foam and used some black mastic to cover the cut at the back.

BCO has signed it off, I'm happy with it and the wife just shrugged her shoulders as ever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back