drilling hole through worktop against the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i need to drill a hole through the worktop in my kitchen. thing is where i need to drill it is right against the wall.

is there a special way of doing it without dismantling the units??

cheers

george

Sponsored Links
if its to pass a cable or simmilar through drill from underneath at an angle judging it so when it breaks the surface its in the correct point
hold or weight down a largish bit off wood on top to stop break out or hitting tiles ect

if the hole needs to be vertical use a small blade to cut the underneath in line with the top and a small sharp chisel to nibble away underneth
if your carefull you will have a perfect round hole on top and a slightly oversized rough egded excavasion underneath ;)

practise on an offcut or scrap to get the starting point and angle right remembering as the drill get goes up an inch it will get nearer to the wall by around 1/4 to 1/2" dependant on angle so start off the wall far enough to compensate

also start the hole verticaly for 6mm then work onto the desired angle

Normally you could use an angle drill for a hole like this; however, you are limited by the diameter of the chuck, which won't allow you to get very close to the wall.

I would try something like this with a hex shank drill bit, or an offline adaptor for a drill.

Sometimes you can drill a vertical hole close to an edge using a very long drill bit, if you have clearance for the body of the drill higher up.

thanks guys for the help.

its only for some T&E to pass through so i will just drill through at an angle i think. going to change thde worktops eventually anyway.

cheers

george

Sponsored Links
If you are running T&E in the kitchen, are you aware of the need to notify the work?

Nick.

If you are running T&E in the kitchen, are you aware of the need to notify the work?

Nick.

Yeah aware of that fact!! every thing needs bloody notifying!!!

thing is, i am just replacing the cable and sockets which are already there. I have got an insurance indemnity on any building and electrical work on my house as previous owner had gone a bit mad. Fitted cloakroom upstairs without notifying. extending bathroom without notifying. checked with the policy provider and as long as its not a NEW installation or anything and is just renewing old stuff then its fine, as its already there and covered.

cheers for the advice though mate

george

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back