Drilling issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am having repeat issues with what I thought was a half decent plug in Drill. Example when putting up shelves - one chosen drill hole will work fine. Rawl plug will slot in required 2-3 inches. Next drill hole only goes in 1 inch and won't move any further into masonry/brickwork. Really hard to judge it. Just a standard brick wall, don't think there is a joist. End up with wider hole and ruined plastering around it, unable to hang stuff.
Drives me crazy amd makes a real mess of walls, patching it up.

Do I need a proper hammer drill and special masonry drillbits to avoid this? Builders always .make it look easy.
Keep getting it wrong. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Get an SDS drill, game-changer. Few threads on here with recommendations for entry level ones, you'll not regret it.

Sponsored Links
Why not show us what you've got? For occasional use a basic hammer drill with some decent masonry bits should be perfectly adequate.

Get a Bosch mains powered sds drill. Used mine today fitting blinds in 2 bedrooms. Makes short work of drilling into masonary.

Why not show us what you've got? For occasional use a basic hammer drill with some decent masonry bits should be perfectly adequate.
It the attached one with what I think is a standard drill bit.

Attachments

• 20230422_132220.jpg
    20230422_132220.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 42
This is the one I have

I have the older version of this Metabo SDS

It has both a SDS chuck and a regular keyless chuck. TBH, I rarely use the regular chuck but it has come in useful when I am on site and don't have a cordless drill with me.

I first purchased a SDS after once having the misfortune of trying to drill into a very hard wall with my old hammer action drill, I managed to making a 7mm masonry bit glow red. 10 minutes of drilling and it had hardly left a dent in the wall. The SDS drilled the hole in about 7 seconds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back