Never drilled before - should I start now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've never drilled before and need to put up a heavy (7.5 kg) shelf into plaster over brickwork. Due to terrible problems with previous tradesmen and the size of the job, I'm thinking of doing it myself. But I've never drilled anything before (in fact I need to buy a SDS drill + masonry bit + red rawl plugs + screws + spirit level to do this as I have no DIY tools). If I drill into my walls as a complete novice will I mess it up? Any tips for a novice driller?

Sponsored Links
brown plugs are stronger than red. plugs are used in brick or block wals, plasterboard uses a different type.

the plug pack will have marks in it to show the size of drill and screw you need

the hole has to go into the brick, not the plaster, and the screw should be at least 35mm long to get a good purchase. Often shelves and other fittings come with unreasonably short screws.

tap the plug below the surface of the plaster by 1/4" or so. It expands when you put the screw in, and this will reduce the risk of the plaster cracking. You can do this by putting the screw into the plug, tapping the head, then unscrewing it.

Unless you expect to do a lot of DIY, start by buying a light rechargable drill. It will be a bit slower but much lighter, cheaper and easier to use, also handy for high-level work like curtain rails. £25 will probably do. There are some better more powerful ones, but they are big and heavy, which rather defeats the object. If you end up doing a lot of work, you will benefit from having both a small and a big drill. You might find you get a free set of drills with it.

You can buy an assortment of screws. It is quite handy to get zinc-plated ones as they do not leave rust stains when used indoors (self colour steel rusts very easily). Get some with round heads and some countersunk, you will end up needing both. Even when things come with screws, you will sometimes drop, lose or damage them, and sometines they will not be long enough.

You also need a good set of screwdrivers, but the DIY sheds sell very reasonable ones in large packs. Make sure they are made of Chrome Vanadium Steel with hardened tips (the tips are often grey these days). If you buy good screwdrivers individually they work out quite expensive, Don't bother with ratchet drivers with changeable bits.

You can also get things from places like Screwfix by post or local counter
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A435572/Hand-Tools/Screwdrivers/Screwdriver-Sets/General-Purpose-Sets

Get a plastic caddy or two to keep your tools and screws in. The sort of thing cleaners use is handy. You can get a posh toolbox later.

p.s. take enormous care to measure and level the places for your holes beforehand and mark the centre with a pencil cross, bigger than the hole will be. If you doubt your ability to hold the drill steady, stick some soft vinyl insulating tape over the place and drill through that (it will prevent the tip skidding)

Brilliant response thanks. Just want to check re the drill. I read somewhere else on the forums that I needed an SDS because I was going into masonry (brickwork behind the plaster). The drill I've got now is one of those cheap cordless ones which doubles as a screwdriver (the only bit I've ever used) so I'm guessing it wouldn't be powerful enough. If I do need an SDS any recommendation for a really light one suitable for a girl?

Also, re screwdrivers I was thinking of the ratchet/interchangeable bits kind cos I don't have space to store a set (see username). Are they bad or just expensive?

I would love an sds drill, like a knife going through butter.

for most brick work a drill with hammer action is fine

most drill drivers do not have hammer action.

The other thing you do nead a masonary bit , not a steel or wood bit.

the size of the plug determines what size drill bit you use.

red is 5.5, (i never use brown)

your idea of interchangable bits is good, specially since you already have a drill / driver.

only down side is cheap bits dont last, but for the use you will put them too, they will be ok for a few screws (that sounds rude :oops: )

Sponsored Links
ratchet screwdrivers are relatively big and clumsy, and will go wrong. A simple screwdriver has almost nothing in it to go wrong, unless you use the tip as a chisel.

You will only actually ever use about 4 of them - small slotted, medium slotted, small pozi, medium pozi. That's all you need for changing plugs and fixing shelves, door-hinges, curtain rails.

you can put the others in a safe place for infrequent use until you become a DIY demon.

I actually keep the common ones on a rack inside the door of the cupboard under the sink.

John - thanks for your help. In between posting, I've been to Screwfix and have the following in my basket. Can you take a quick look and see if you think I've got it right?

Bosch GBH2-18 SDS+ Hammer Drill (on special and the lightest weight they have), Masonry Philips Head Screws 5.3 x 70, spirit level, screwdriver set (not ratchet).

So I think I still need a masonry drill bit (size 4 to go with the screws apparently) but there's no SDS+ one from Bosch. Do I get any old SDS+ one or do I need a Bosch? (Sorry if that's a dumb question but I have no clue with DIY)

Also, it doesn't look like I need a rawl plug if I use a masonry screws. Is this right?

70mm screws are too long. 35mm would be OK. 50mm would be more than generous. Look for a mix box with a variety of screws.

5.3mm screws are too big. 4.5mm or so (you have a bit of leeway)

drill s/b 6mm for brown. Red may be 5mm, not sure. See http://www.plasplugs.com/fixings_solid.html I think I have been using 6.5mm which may be wrong :oops:

It doesn't matter what brand the bits (drills) are so long as they have TCT ends and are symettrical but Bosch is a reliable brand. Very cheap or unbranded are suspect.

I don't know about the Bosch elecric drill, I expect it is OK. If you buy a SDS Electric drill you must buy SDS bits (drills) to fit. Ordinary bits (drills) with the cylindrical shaft will not fit. edited: I see it comes with drills so you will quite likeley get the size you need

I wouldn't use masonry screws myself.

p.s. drilling walls makes gritty dust, so put down newspaper and/or have someone with a vacuum cleaner hose next to the hole as you drill

I posted this in the tools forum because I just wanted a quick answer on the drill thing, but someone suggested I keep going on here, so here goes:

My basket now has:

DRILL: either Bosch GBH2-18 SDS+ Hammer Drill (£56) or the cordless Bosch GSR9.6-2 Drill Driver (£75) - can anyone advise as to whether I NEED the SDS for interior walls because the other one is a bit lighter and has more drill bit options

SCREWS: Screw-Tite® Prodrive® Csk 4.5 x 40mm (based on a forum recommendation as to size)

RAWLPLUGS: red ones - is this right for these screws?

MASONRY BIT: no idea what size - can you help?

I posted this in the tools forum because I just wanted a quick answer on the drill thing, but someone suggested I keep going on here, so here goes:confused:

I suggested it, as i said, you know what you wnat to do, i have a vague idea, but anyone joinging in will not have a clue, and it is about tools that you are asking.

for those screws brown plugs, sorry dont use them sp dont know size of drill bit, screwfix catalogue should say, i will guess 6mm

red plugs tend to be 5.5 or 6mm masonery bit browns tend to be 7mm masonery bit

red plugs are good for imperial[silver] no 4 6 7 8 and 10 with 1x1/4" [32mm]in the plug
metric size 3 3.5 4 4.5 and 5

brown plugs are for no 8 10 and 12 with 1x1/2" [38mm]in the plug
metric size 4.5 5 and 6mm

this is very much down to personal taste

In my opinion you are not planning to do heavy work that requires SDS+. You can buy one if you want but I can't see it's necessary.

I have got bored with hard work now ;) and haven't used anything bigger than a 10mm hammer drill in several years (although I have a couple of monsters in the garage).

If you are getting a few free bits with your drill, try to find out if it includes the size you need for your plasplugs, in a masonry bit.

Red or brown plugs, either will do. I always use brown, Breezer always uses red. No matter.

I would try to get a box of various screws if I were you, they are sure to come in handy if you are developing a taste for DIY. The ones you mention are the right size but check if your shelf supports require countersunk screws or round-headed

Screwfix will also send you a free catalogue you can drool over. ;)

No one has asked what shelf fixings you are going to use.
Are they just flat metal shelving brackets or are they wooden brackets, and if so how thick from front to back so that you allow extra length for the screws.

I would go for the SDS drill because when you are putting up brackets for curtain poles you will more than likely be drilling into a concrete header, this is something that a hammer drill can struggle to do.

For fixings I use plugs like these

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Fixings-Wall-Plug/High-Performance-SX-Plug-and-Screw-Set/invt/156671

They are much better than the red/brown type and they come in a variety of lengths to suit most scenarios.

The screws and fixings that come with most shelves etc are of (generally) poor quality and should be binned and decent ones purchased.

When buying a screwdriver why not get one like this

http://www.shop4tools.co.uk//acatalog/Bit_Holding_Screwdrivers.php

Then you can pick which bit you need to use and it becomes as many screwdrivers as you have bits, this way you can buy a good quality bit holder which should last you a good long while.

When buying tools always buy the best you can afford and they will last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back