Should I Hire or Buy a Cheap SDS Drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve got to drill four holes in my concrete floor. Previously I’ve been unsuccessful drilling the floor with a normal corded hammer drill. I also have a concrete roof, again I have been unsuccessful in drilling when I’ve put up lights (managed to secure them in the 20 mm of gritty plaster). I will need to drill the floor and ceiling in the future too.

I believe I need an SDS-plus drill.

Should I hire one for each project or shall I buy a cheap one?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58494/Power-Tools/SDS-Drills/Direct-Power-BS26S3-5kg-SDS-Plus-Drill

or

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88854/Power-Tools/SDS-Drills/Titan-PDH26S6-6kg-SDS-Plus-Drill

The links are within my budget but I wondered if a hired one has more features I might need or, more umph or something; I know nothing about SDS drills? Will the ones I’ve linked serve me well enough as an occasional DIYer? Is the more expensive one much better?

Many Thanks,
soup

Sponsored Links
The cheaper of the two would do your job and last for the amount of times you an amateur should need it to work for.

I would say 22mm is about the maximum size hole. They probably don't have a clutch so get a really good grip of the handle, don't be caught unawares if it snags on rebar it will break your wrist if you don't have a very good stance position and hold on with great strength.

My experience of this price range is that the chucks break the brushes wear (I was told by a buyer for a large chain that all the amateur drills they sell are specified for a brush life of 14hrs, because they know that an amateur will not exceed that in a lifetime).

Personally as my needs are repeat and arduous I buy either new or second hand Hilti drills. One of the best I have owned and won't part with is called a TE24. I have a brand new te2m almost new te30m have owned a te50 for a year which was new, nearly new te60 and a well used te76. So I have a suitable range for the many varieties of professional job I have to put them to. But when I am forced to work away and am conscerned about how much to take and whether it matters if it is stolen I just take a beaten up old te24. Somehow it seems to replace all the above with little extra effort, and is doggedly reliable. They are a hidden gem which sell for very little on ebay compared to their worth, and will outlast any 14hr drill and it's chuck!

I bought the te30m to replace it for medium duty work and for chasing out chanel for pipes and cables. However though the 30m is a more modern and more refined drill the te24 does both jobs much better. It simply makes more noise and gives the user more fatigue. In going anti vibration and reducing noise all the manufacurers have muted the capability of their drills. If I have a very hard wall with concrete render to chase out the te24 is the one I pick up. The actual working experience of someone who actually works in all conditions with a drill is worth much more than a glossy brochure.

The te24 is not intended to be used as a chisel but it has two speeds and if you place the gear selector between the two speeds you have rotostop. Has stood me well for 3 years, with heavy abuse.

I only buy the other drills because the brochures and the sales rep seduce u. When it comes down to it the new stuff is no better, it looks more sexy and is lighter less noisy and gives less fatigue. But holes in wall count, the old stuff wins.

Speaking from my own personal experience I would not touch anything cheap. About 7 years ago I had to drill some holes in a concrete floor. I went through 3 different makes of DIY SDS drills - all of them failed (just stopped working) after drilling about six holes. I got really fed up of making trips to back and forth to the store and in the end I ignored the so called expert in the store and went for a Bosch SDS plus which just happened to be on a special offer. I think the drill cost about £100 quid which was supposedly about half price. Anyway, it drilled about 100 holes in solid contrete non stop, then cut yards and yards of chases and has kept on going through some heavy DIY for the last seven years. Awesome bit of kit. On one occasion I thought I had broken it when I ran it on heavy work for about 3 hours non stop. It turned out that I had just tripped an overheating cut-out that is built in to the drill.

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent bit of Kit. Either Bosch, Makita, Hilti or something similar. The hilti stuff is bulletproof as the other post suggests but its not cheap (even second-hand). Bosch would be the best bet I think.

Steve

Titan have a good reputation. Read the reviews from people that bought one - they know far better than anyone else if they are any good or not.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your answers and advice.

Paul, I don’t think my budget stretches to a second Hilti but I’ll keep my eye out for a TE24. I did note with interest your comment about the clutch, further reading almost suggests this is essential, especially for someone like myself with inexperience.

Steve, again I think the Bosch is beyond the budget at the moment, but that might change.

Joe, you’re quite right, the reviews read well but as mentioned above, I’m starting to think I need a clutch.

My thoughts are now along the lines that I should hire a smaller SDS drill (with a clutch) and see how it performs; if it’s what I’m after, then I’ll lift my budget and go for a Bosch or something.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/76088/Power-Tools/SDS-Drills/BOSCH-GBH-2-18-230V-2kg-SDS-Plus-Drill

Do these smaller SDS drills still drill through concrete considerably better than a regular hammer drill?

Many Thanks Again,
soup

Yes that type of drill usually has a good clutch. They are usually rated up to 22mm but I onl;y use drills of that power for red and brown rawl plugs if it were all I had with me I may drill a 22mm hole, but I would be shortening it's life and the job would take me too long. The next size up medium weight sds drill would be better.

It depends which sized holes you need to make.

look on ebay,for a good 2nd hand 1,little money for alot of drill.

Yes that type of drill usually has a good clutch. They are usually rated up to 22mm but I onl;y use drills of that power for red and brown rawl plugs if it were all I had with me I may drill a 22mm hole, but I would be shortening it's life and the job would take me too long. The next size up medium weight sds drill would be better.

I've used a smaller drill than that Bosch for a 20mm hole through an exterior wall. It took less than 20 seconds with no fuss whatsoever. Any SDS drill should handle holes of that size with ease.

I've never seen one of those big drills without a clutch - they would be liable if someone were injured. The Titan does have one as we had this argument once before and someone emailed them.

I've used a smaller drill than that Bosch for a 20mm hole through an exterior wall. It took less than 20 seconds with no fuss whatsoever. Any SDS drill should handle holes of that size with ease.

I wish all the walls I had drilled were that easy.

Can I have a bucket of your luck to take to work tomorrow?

I wish all the walls I had drilled were that easy.

Can I have a bucket of your luck to take to work tomorrow?

No, but you can take this house if you have a better built one going spare!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back