Drilling jig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to drill 3 holes in a post. 1 is directly in the end of the post, 1 is drilled on the face at 90 degrees, and another at either 30 or 45 degrees. I'm looking for a machine rather than a jig to do this job. So it needs to be able to have a rotating head from 0-90 degrees. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I think you need a floor mounted pillar drill with a swivelling table and the use of a spirit level really, but the length of the post could be an issue.
Does your drilling need to be dead accurate?
John :)

Sponsored Links
One of these bad boys mebbe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owccFQXbgG8

Mafell BST 650S -460S. Prices start around £570 excluding vat.

Wolfcraft make a cheap version for shorter bits.

Or the Mafell ZB 400E -600E- 100 ES.
Prices start around £2320 excluding vat.

Or 6 axis cnc.

Strikes me that if you want a machine to do it, then you're going to end up making, or at least modifying something to do the job. How sophisticated the machine is would really depend on whether its a job that needs doing every day for hours, or a job where a few have to be done occasionally.
Might be better off with two machines. One, something like a lathe, with the drill in the chuck rotating, and the work sliding along the bed on a carriage to do the end holes, another like a pillar drill with tilting table for the side holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back