Drilling through tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a pic of my bathroom:

tiles-shwr-prob.JPG

As the flat is rented, I can't damage anything. (you can tell it's rented - if it was mine that hideous avacado suite would have been out months ago!)

As you can see I have a shower curtain. It's a pain in the ass to flip it in and out depending on whether I want a bath or shower, and it's also a pain to take down and wash - so I plan to fit a solid shower screen.

However, the tight position of the loo means I will have to drill through the tiles to do this. If I break them it will be a nightmare - it's not too clear from the pic but they're a shade of off-cream that will probably be impossible to replace!

Suggestions, anyone?

Sponsored Links
If you want to drill through the tile without damaging it, that is fairly easy. Make sure you have a new masonary bit, put a piece of masking tape over the tile where you want to drill the hole, this will stop the drill slipping. Use a drill with variable speed and start the hole off slowly. Once the drill is through the glaze increase the speed of the drill. DO NOT use hammer action until you are through the tile though, otherwise it may crack. Hope this helps.

I always turn the chuck by hand until the glaze is broken. Don't trust myself not to slip on the trigger of the drill!

Sponsored Links
You can get tile bits as well. I bought a couple for a fiver or so from Screwfix. Not tried them yet so can't vouch if they are any good, but the design of them looks like they grind away at the cut surface rather than drill away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back