Drilling through tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had fun last night trying to drill through bathroom tiles which were thicker than average bathroom tiles. I started off using Bosch multiconstruction bits and even after 30 mins of drilling, I'd made a dent about 3-4mm deep at most.

I went out and bought some cheap set from Screwfix and wished I hadn't:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/glass-drill-bit-set-4-pcs/1598v

The 4mm was too small.
The 5mm worked for a bit and then the tip snapped off.
The 6mm did most of the work but even then, it wouldn't go more than 7-8mm deep. I ended up resorting to the multiconstruction bits again and using the hammer function. Still took time but I managed to get through without cracking the tiles.

I've told the wife I don't want to make any more drill holes in tiles but if I have to, is there a good quality drill bit (preferably a set but I don't mind buying a few pieces to make a set).

Sponsored Links
Armeg do an excellent drill bit for hard tiles, I use them on the sort of tiles you find in public lavatories (e.g in restaurants, pubs, hotels, etc) these days as the old style "spear" bits just won't hack it. They aren't chjeap, they require water lubrication and they only do 25 to 40 holes. But they do work on very hard tiles. A tad expensive to buy as a set, though.

A mate of mine has recently tried Keramo drill bits and says they are good (and a lot cheaper), but I can't say one way or the other as I haven't used them personally

I've found those heart-shaped glass/tile drills to be perfectly adequate for ceramic tiles - what type of tiles are you trying to drill... stone??
Nozzle

I've found those heart-shaped glass/tile drills to be perfectly adequate for ceramic tiles - what type of tiles are you trying to drill... stone??
Nozzle
No idea but it took forever to drill through. They're largish tiles (approx 200mm by 300mm at a guess).

Armeg do an excellent drill bit for hard tiles, I use them on the sort of tiles you find in public lavatories (e.g in restaurants, pubs, hotels, etc) these days as the old style "spear" bits just won't hack it. They aren't chjeap, they require water lubrication and they only do 25 to 40 holes. But they do work on very hard tiles. A tad expensive to buy as a set, though.

A mate of mine has recently tried Keramo drill bits and says they are good (and a lot cheaper), but I can't say one way or the other as I haven't used them personally
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into them for next time.

Sponsored Links
If they are stone, you could try silicon carbide or diamond hole saws/core bit. If you can find one small enough..

Use regular coolant on the bit with a sprayer

Nozzle

I used some similar to the ones Foxhole linked but could only use them once I started the hole with one of these:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p98281

That was on porcelain tiles that were very hard, kept the drill slow and the tip wet :cautious:

IMG_8020.JPG

Nozzle

Me too, they're cheap but pop them in a glass of cold water after 10 seconds of drilling keeps them cool and the water lubricates the drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back