drilling tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had my bathroom tiled top to bottom. Ive bought various funiture towel rails, tiolet roll holder,shelves etc. I tried drilling through tiles with masonary bit but it just disintegrated. I phoned people who fitted bathroom suite for advice and their fitters recommended arrowhead drill bits. I bought a bosch 6mm done 3 holes and the tip snapped off, i then bought a b&d 6mm drilled 1 hole and started next and the tip snapped off. Ive tried slow/fast, no pressure/lots of pressure i even bought a variable speed drill. sometimes it glides through other times it just seems to go round and round for 10 mins. Any advice before i pay another £6

Sponsored Links
I've never had problems using standard masonry bits (NOT on hammer till you get through the tile!!), put some masking tape on so the bit doesnt slip, go nice and slow.

eggplant said:
I've never had problems using standard masonry bits (NOT on hammer till you get through the tile!!), put some masking tape on so the bit doesnt slip, go nice and slow.
You tried those drills I sold you yet?

Sponsored Links
I have, but on light masonry and wood only, not on tiles. The are indeed handy, no need to swap bits going thro wood into brick or damaging a bit on the brick.

Well, I have drilled through ceramic tiles before (not porcelain though) with ease. It sounds to me that your bits are worn. I used to have a pack of old drill bits a friend gave me which kept snapping, so it's just best and safer to get some new ones. Get some new bits and try again. Position the tip of the bit and drill through the tiles slowly, increasing speed as you get half way through. I was actually a bit scared of first because I thought I would break the tiles. Practice on a spare tile first if you've not done this sort of task before.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back