brand new diamond core bit wouldnt cut butter, help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put a 65mm hole through a modern concrete block wall to run a waste pipe. Bought a new SDS plus Hitachi drill which Ive used for various tasks, chiseling and masonary drilling for this same job and its amazing compared to a normal hammer drill.

I bought a CDC core drill from Core Drill City £30 for the hole and it wont touch the wall got about an inch after a lot of trial and resting! In the end gave up.

Looked on Core Drill City and see they have Marcrist bits aswell but they are £75 more than double the price.

I fully understand you get what you pay for but what can one diamond core drill do that another cant.

What do I need to get through my wall its just a run of the mill modern block wall.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not your drill bit....It's the drill.

Most SDS are designed to drill 20/22mm max in masonry...you are trying to do 65mm.

Right tool for the right job...hire the right drill before you burn out your nice shiny new drill :)

Not sure about it being the drill.

I've used core cutters off lots of cheap drills ... it is effectively a saw, so if it spins, it should cut

Are you keeping the drill fairly level and pressing enough? And it should be at a low speed

True Woody..but you wouldn't use a hacksaw to cut 4'x2'

Just trying to save the guys drill from burning out.

If you still want to use your Hitachi,then do what Woody said,but I would try and break off the masonry inside as this will save a bit of friction on the cutter.

Sponsored Links
I hope your not using it with the hammer action of the SDS+ Drill? Sure way to bu88er the bit up. ;) ;)

PS I have used my SDS+ drill to successfully core drill a 125mm hole for a fan. Where the drill says 12mm -22mm dia hole in concrete etc this usually means using the correct sds+ drill bit. (as opposed to using a core bit)

I am not exactly getting what is the cause for this..But are placing it a proper level??If not try placing it in the proper level and put the ample pressure also on the drill..

^woody^ wrote: "Clint Eastwood got out of Alcatraz with a spoon".

Only half the story ^woody^ ... the spoon formed the handle of Clint's cutting tool; the business end was formed from a section of nail clipper. If you remember Frank Morris (Clint Eastwood) nicked the clippers off the Warden's (Patrick Magoohan) office desk, he then traded some spagetti (for pet mouse food) for a 'silver' coin (an American nickel). Back in his cell Frank joined the spoon and clipper section together by silver-soldering, hence the coin, to form the much improved digging tool.

Are you breaking off the core in the hole?
Are you cleaning the core bit to "unclog" the cutting edge?

I have cut plenty of 4" holes with my Makita 2450 SDS. Anything over 2" with a TCT you will find you will sheer the sds bit as the TCT bit on the cutter will snag on the brick work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back