Drilling wall tiles - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to drill two small holes in my bathroom wall tiles near the shower so that I can insert two hooks.

I'm worried that when I start drilling, the tile will just crack or break. Is this the case, or is it ok to drill? What type of drill bit should I use?

I guess I should use a plastic plug in the hole before inserting the hook too...?

Thanks!
Matt

Sponsored Links
place some masking tape or sellotape in a cross over the hole you want to drill. That will stop the drill bit sliding all over the place. i Always use a masonary drill bit. i try not to use a hammer action on it, but sometimes you need to if its a very hard tile. dont press to hard and after a short while take the drill out to have a look at let the bit cool down. Yes you will nedd to use whatever wall plugs come with the item you are hanging. Dont tighten the screws too tight, use a hand screwdriver to do it.

Certainly the masking tape, but I use a special tile drill, you can get them almost anywhere.

Any masonry drill bit will do the job but make sure you start off really slowly and apply enough pressure for the drill bit to start to cut into the tile and you will be able to hear it grinding through the ceramic surface. After you are through that then gradually speed it up and go through the rest of the tile but I would avoid using the hammer action .

Sponsored Links
Use a tile bit. See here

If using plugs, make you push them right through the tile or you are likely to crack it when you screw in the hook.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back