drilling tiles for bar shower fixing kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am abit concerned about cracking the tiles as I drill the holes to fit a bar shower fixing kit as am drilling close to the holes were the pipes come through the tiles. Any one had any problems with this before?

Sponsored Links
Cover the point where you want to drill with masking tape (allows the drill point to bite), use a small masonry bit as a pilot first and turn the drill hammer action off.....once you are through the tile glaze, you'll get there.
John :)

Get a decent tile drillbit. I use macrist (think thats what they are called). A new bit goes through tile like butter

another tip to stop the drill bit slipping is to very gently 'chip' the tile where you intend to drill with a hammer and nail/screw.

Sponsored Links
Get a decent tile drillbit. I use macrist (think thats what they are called). A new bit goes through tile like butter

Almost. They're Marcrist. And very good quality but obviously that quality means they're not cheap.

Thanks, do you usually fill the hole were the pipe comes through the tile with silicone to stop water getting through? Have heard silicone can corrode copper though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back