Drip bead / scratch coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder asked me if I wanted a drip bead / bell detail at dpc. He said the render is water proofed so taking it to the ground is not a problem. Also its block paving around the building and during torrential rain there is no pooling of water near the walls.

I have now done some some research and as far as I can tell the drip bead serves 2 functions 1. it directs water away from the wall to prevent pooling at the base and 2. it acts as a physical barrier to prevent damp rising up the render/bridging the dpc.

The trouble is he has already applied the scratch coat down to the floor i.e. over the dpc. As such if I want the bell detail then he will have to hack of the scratch coat to accommodate the bead?

Sponsored Links
Neither of your "functions 1 & 2" is correct. Your "research" & your builder are both wrong.
I suggested last Wednesday in your earlier post what you should do.
You should hack off any render from ground level to at least one course above any DPC and then fit a plastic Bell Cast to the bare brick at the base of the render..

Neither of your "functions 1 & 2" is correct. Your "research" & your builder are both wrong.
I suggested last **Wednesday **in your earlier post what you should do.
You should hack off any render from ground level to at least one course above any DPC and then fit a plastic Bell Cast to the bare brick at the base of the render..
It was Thursday, tell . get a grip everyone but you are wrong :ROFLMAO: or should that be everyone.........is.....? can you tell, tell ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
upload_2022-2-27_15-28-27.png

Research capillary action.
Research bridging.
Research Bell Cast use - how and why? NHBC make no mention of Bell Casts in your above ref.

Research narcissism and multiple personality disorder - then look @ ree vinn etc. all previous "tell 80" names:ROFLMAO:

I think I am going to ask the builder to install the bell cast. can anyone confirm if this can go on top of scratch coat or will it need to be hacked away?

Also Somone else suggested disk cutting a slot at DPC level and sealing with polysulphide mastic

Just found this video... the guy is doing the exact same thing as by builder i.e. no drip bead... render to the floor. Is this wrong?

His dpc looks like it may be at ground level outside. As there’s no step up to the house.

Looked at the comments.. he admitted bridging the DPC but said builder asked him not to use a stop bead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back