Render advice..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a builder who has been working for me for a number of weeks and he has done a lot of work for me in the past. he is a jack of all trades, very handy guy and we have and receptive to my 'research'.

Due to most of the the house being old and somewhat awkward he advised me to take the render to the ground (same as next door). He also advised me to purchase galvanized beads and that the more expensive stainless were a waste of money. He has now fitted all the beads and scratch coated everything (a large surface area of building and garden walls). He is awaiting my decision on the bell cast before applying the smooth coat.

I have been through some threads and there seems to be mixed feelings about render bridging the dpc but many say not to use galvanized beads externally due to rusting which is very concerning.

Obviously undoing what he has done so far would be a major headache.. i.e. replacing all the existing beads. Also is it ok to fit a bell cast bead on top of a scratch coat?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do not use any wood as a substitute Bell Cast - never do that.
In time the wood will rot, disintegrate, and collapse the amateur Bell Cast attempt.

Use a plastic Bell Cast, and, after cutting away the scratch coat to at least a course above the DPC,
fix it with ss screws & plastic plugs to the now exposed brickwork.

Sponsored Links
In time the wood will rot, disintegrate, and collapse the amateur Bell Cast attempt.

:ROFLMAO: here speaks the Bell .............end.

Last edited:

Use a plastic Bell Cast, and, after cutting away the scratch coat to at least a course above the DPC,
fix it with ss screws & plastic plugs to the now exposed brickwork.
fekin eejit.

Just a reminder that you never use wood as a Bell Cast - its a very amateurish slap-dash way of giving yourself further difficulties ... just saying!

Just a reminder that you never use wood as a Bell Cast - its a very amateurish slap-dash way of giving yourself further difficulties ... just saying!
It's used to form the bell cast in the render - then removed when render has set. Read the posts and learn something . And keep taking the pills. Just saying.

Its great to have such an appreciative audience of fans following me around - one would think that now & again (& again) I'm leading them on a wild goose chase - Honest, I'm not its all in good fun.

OP,
Have you ever heard of "keep it simple"?
The crazy blags of what the DIY Amateurs think is advice just wont work. Not a single sentence from the sad creatures has been thought through. For Example: go round the house a bit, grind away & see what happens.
Think about what nonsense is being proposed.
Do you enjoy extra work - extra expense - and the possible damage to whats already in-situ?

Last edited:
I use timbers for bellcasts , reveals and quoins on cement work. I even use a corner timber on my sticky butter coat when harling dash. How do you do it tell, do you use plastic beads for dashing?

Its great to have such an appreciative audience of fans following me around - one would think that now & again (& again) I'm leading them on a wild goose chase - Honest, I'm not its all in good fun.

OP,
Have you ever heard of "keep it simple"?
The crazy blags of what the DIY Amateurs think is advice just wont work. Not a single sentence from the sad creatures has been thought through. For Example: go round the house a bit, grind away & see what happens.
Think about what nonsense is being proposed.
Do you enjoy extra work - extra expense - and the possible damage to whats already in-situ?
It would be more constructive to reply sensibly to op questions, rather than trying to lead people on quote ‘wild goose chases’.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back