Dripping boiler flue extension pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler (glowworm cx30i) flue runs through garage just under ceiling height to external wall, it's been in for about 7 years, no problem until now, recently the clamps joining the flue extension pipes have started dripping, I have tried tightening the clamps but they are still leaking,
Is there any tips or tricks to stop the clamps from dripping, the clamps have foam where the bolts tighten

Sponsored Links
The only option is to have a Gas Safe registered person repair it.

There is no DIY fix and a leaking gas flue is dangerous.

Agree with @flameport, it might be that your flue has come apart slightly or the seals have perished, possibly causing products of combustion to enter the garage space, which, if proved would be classed as immediately dangerous. Registered gas engineer will need to be sought ASAP, and my advice is to turn it off and not use it.

It was recently serviced, internal part of the flue is sealed and gasses are being vented as should be, it's the condense running back towards boiler that is escaping through the clamps, gas engineer said they just need tightening, which he did,but they started dripping again

Sponsored Links
it's the condense running back towards boiler that is escaping through the clamps, gas engineer said they just need tightening, which he did,but they started dripping again

If this is the case, then I would be thinking the flue is installed incorrectly.

It was installed correctly, like I said, it was first installed 7 years ago, serviced since, no problem till now, no other work has knocked flue

It was recently serviced, internal part of the flue is sealed and gasses are being vented as should be, it's the condense running back towards boiler that is escaping through the clamps, gas engineer said they just need tightening, which he did,but they started dripping again
The internal part of the flue can't be sealed if water is escaping from it. The condensate forms in the flue not the air intake. In your case there's leakage from both the external and internal flue pipes.
Presumably the engineer just found the flue gas analyser was within spec, but that doesn't mean the flue is in good condition, laid to the correct fall and not about to rot through.

it's the condense running back towards boiler that is escaping through the clamps, gas engineer said they just need tightening, which he did,but they started dripping again

As the other guys have said, if it's condensate then the internal exhaust flue/seal must be compromised.

The clamps are not there to seal the flue joins up and stop condensate leaking out, they are there to support the flue joins, if the RGI is saying they just need tightened to seal it up to stop the condensate from leaking out then he's just plain wrong.

The internal flue must compromised and leaking condensate and flue gases into the outer duct. Maybe it wasn't installed correctly from the start 7 years ago and the clamps have hidden that and sealed it up until now.

edited for some shocking grammer :whistle:

Last edited:
I pulled the flue pipes apart today .....

=========================================
But you don't have the tools or knowledge to test it.
Foolish.
Turn it off and call someone qualified.
Mod

=========================================

Last edited by a moderator:
You have no idea how dangerous what you are doing is, turn it off and dont touch it again , get a qualified RGI to sort it properly

Yikes if you've had the flue apart you need to confirm itsr integrity by law, given you already knew it was not in good condition you are legally not allowed to turn the appliance on. That's criminal law not civil law and it's for safety reasons
You can work on your own appliances in your own house if you're competent to do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back