Dripping flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if somebody could help me with a condensate problem please?
When i moved in with my gf i rented my flat out. Council gave me a grant to bring it up to state a tenant could live in it, and picked the contractor to do the work. So new boiler was installed by an engineer based about 40 miles away just over a year ago.

Flat is upstairs, flue runs horizontally a bit over 2m internally before reaching inside wall then i'd guess about another 450mm before terminating above downstairs back doorstep.

Boiler is a capriz 24a. Downstairs neighbour says she is getting splodges of condensate from time to time, about a cupful/halfa pintshe says. It's just had a new gas safety cert issued, and managing agents looked at flue and said from a non-expert viewpoint it seems normal and a few drips are to be expected. The commercial engineer who looks after boiler at work said possibly blocked condensate - some boilers with sandcast h/e shed sand when 1st run? Neighbour isnt somebody to complain over nothing and i'm hoping someone here could give me some advice on what to do next please? It sounds to me like condensate is accmulating in the flue then being blown out but i dont even know if thats possible?

I'm wondering if it's possible that wrong flue may have been used, seem to remember seeing somewhere on packaging that longer runs use a different type (no internal slope?) or if a plume kit would help

Sponsored Links
Sorry i dont seem to be able to edit that but any help / suggestions greatly appreciated.

Flue might not have correct fall back to boiler.

It's normal to get a bit of dripping.

But not volume. I suspect the fall is not correct and condensate is "pooling" in the flue. Then on start up the fan runs and the air movement creates a bit of a waste and pushes it out?

The flue should be accessible so go round and put a spirit level on it. It should have a small bit noticeable fall back towards the boiler.

Thanks very much for your help. The flue is boxed in (with access panels to inspect the joints) but I know I saw a box saying the flue had a builtin fall. Tbh I dont really see how that works if more than one section is involved, but I'm not an installer. I guess from what you've said though that you've seen this sort of thing before, so it can be down to installation/materials. If this is partially blocking the flue while it builds up, is it dangerous? Do you think could get installer to come back and sort it? It was over a year ago but....

Thanks again for your help

Sponsored Links
The flue terminal will have a built in fall but each extension will not and should be installed with a fall back to the boiler

Last edited by a moderator:
UThank you again. Ill do that and see what I find. Much appreciated..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back