Dripping Leak from Weird Pipe Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

A couple of pics of the problem pipe fitting: http://imgur.com/a/yG5TN

As you can see from the linked pictures, I have got a slight dripping leak from one of pipe fittings coming out of my water cylinder. The leak is on the right-hand side and water is filling into the opening and then slowly dripping out. I presume this is supposed to be tight and no water is supposed to reach the opening, as there is another one of these fittings elsewhere that is fine with no leaks. It looks as if someone tried to fix it before with plumbers tape as there is a fine white line of stuff, although the water appears to be dripping from the opening.

I've looked on Screwfix and Google Images to try and the find the name for this fitting but to no avail. It's a T with a something like an opening spout(?) attached?

This has got worse in the last few days, and I can longer just put an absorpent cloth and ramekin underneath to catch the drips.

I'd like to try to remedy this myself as I can do the basics, e.g. I replaced a faulty Drayton valve actuator a few months ago, but if I need to drain part of the system and call someone in.

I've also got low hot water pressure in one of my showers – a shower that has two heads: one main fixed, overhead shower head and a second smaller handheld one – when both hot and cold water pressure is fine in every other shower and faucet in the house, but I'll work that out later.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As stated above, its a drain off cock. However, to replace the washer or the whole valve you'll either have to freeze the pipes or drain the system down below the level of that drain off. Its almost certainly a 1/2" BSP thread into the pipework, but it could be 3/4" BSP. Try and replace it with a type A (glanded) drain valve. The washer is probably a 3/8" one, but you get all sorts in these.

It looks to me as if the plumber soldered the joints and set the position of the draincock at 180° to where it is now fitted , not unless excess solder has started to defy gravity?
litl

Thanks for the help. Easy to find a solution when you know what to search for.

Everything I read said not to overtighten the drain cock, but after tightening it slightly with ease, the drips have now stopped completely!

Yup, looks like the plumber used a fxfxf threaded tee
images

soldered in the 2 copper ends and then screwed in the drain. It looks like the jointing compound is letting by now and it may start leaking again in the future. I'd get someone in to remake that joint.

That joint really is a mess and has "a lot" of water pushing down on it... a little Dutch boy would be more dependable :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back