Dripping shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day I noticed my shower was dripping, but jiggling the control got it to stop.
Today our water was cut off and when turned back on, it started dripping again and I can't get it to stop. Really it's more of a constant dribble than a drip.
I've no idea how to access it to try and fix it, should this be easy or do I need to try to isolate it until a plumber can attend?
IMG_20171129_112622.jpg IMG_20171129_112639.jpg

Sponsored Links
You may need to strip it down, and backflush it to clean out any debris. The water getting turned off and on again, may have dislodged some muck inside the pipe, and if you don't have any filters behind the shower head, it may be stuck in the valve. But the valve could be worn, and need replacing.

That sounds like no easy 2min fix. It's hidden in the wall, hopefully I can access it to turn off as we don't use it?

You've got a surface mounted unit, it's just the pipes that are in the wall. Undo the nuts behind the unit, and the one on the riser bar, and it'll come off the wall. I think there'll be a grub screw underneath that dismantles the valve, but you could try sticking a garden hose down the outlet to see if you can backflush any debris first.

Sponsored Links
Yeah but I'd like to still have water in the rest of the house when I take it off and get stuck :)

You can get a couple of caps from your local plumbers merchant.

Buy new cartridge from bristan. Easy fix, I've done a few of those recently

After some stress, I found and closed the isolation valves to the shower... They were behind the bath so I had to remove it to access. Annoying, but on the other hand I found 4 isolation valves for separate hot and cold on shower and bath which was by no means a given.

Now I can fix at my leisure. Thanks all!

No. Pedestal bath with taps mounted on the wall... All plumbing behind the sodding bath.

Bath drain like a washing machine, just dangling into a drain pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back