Dripping taps / Water shooting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just moved into a new flat and noticed problems with the taps. There all pretty old, but all suffer from the problem of dripping. Is this a problem with the washers being worn away?

Another problem is the kitchen tap. When i turn it nothing comes out until i loosen the tap to a point then the water shoots out. I can then reduce the flow. Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old taps do require new washers from time to time - they cause drips and can make the jumper part of the tap stick down.
Newer quarter turn taps have ceramic inserts usually and have no replaceable parts (that you can buy, it seems)!
John :)

Old taps do require new washers from time to time - they cause drips and can make the jumper part of the tap stick down.
Newer quarter turn taps have ceramic inserts usually and have no replaceable parts (that you can buy, it seems)!

Thanks John will look at replacing the washers. Any idea on the water shooting out problem?

Aye, its the same issue, Bob - the jumper is the brass bit that holds the washer...it stays still when you turn the tap and close off the water flow.
If you are happy taking the tap to bits, a clean up with wire wool and a vaseline lube does no harm.

Sponsored Links
Aye, its the same issue, Bob - the jumper is the brass bit that holds the washer...it stays still when you turn the tap and close off the water flow.
If you are happy taking the tap to bits, a clean up with wire wool and a vaseline lube does no harm.

Great, will give that a go.

Many thanks for your assistance!

One more question:
Any idea how i know what size washer to buy or can i only find that out by taking the tap apart?

1/2 " tap washers, but it sounds like the jumper has come off the thread on the kitchen tap caused by overtightening the tap when turning off.

also as long as the old washers havent split try flipping them over first, usually does the trick!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back