Drive Pillars

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

How difficult is it to build 2 pillars at drive entrance?

I understand foundations has to be dug and these have to be level as drive is on a slope.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What I did.... (as DIYer so pleas correct me).

Note that I have no gates, so no lateral forces.

Dug dole for foundations 50cm deep (for my area), and 5cm wider (on each side) and filled with concreate, so concrete level 5cm below soil level, with two two rebars sticking out of concrete into air (two were used as was one re-bar cut in half).

Mine was two bricks by two bricks on each side. So needed 6 bricks per layer.
Left interior empty.
Built up bricks with mortar, so there was a hole in the middle of pillar containing the re-bar.

Let mortar set.

Filled middle of pillar with concrete (in two goes so that concrete pressure did not push out bricks.

Put on a capping stone on top.

No-one has been able to push this over, incluidng when car slowly hit it.

SFK

What I did.... (as DIYer so pleas correct me).

Note that I have no gates, so no lateral forces.

Dug dole for foundations 50cm deep (for my area), and 5cm wider (on each side) and filled with concreate, so concrete level 5cm below soil level, with two two rebars sticking out of concrete into air (two were used as was one re-bar cut in half).

Mine was two bricks by two bricks on each side. So needed 6 bricks per layer.
Left interior empty.
Built up bricks with mortar, so there was a hole in the middle of pillar containing the re-bar.

Let mortar set.

Filled middle of pillar with concrete (in two goes so that concrete pressure did not push out bricks.

Put on a capping stone on top.

No-one has been able to push this over, incluidng when car slowly hit it.

SFK

Do you have any pictures?

I am looking something like attached and hope to put similar gates on them.

Attachments

• b58c47388734d1e21feac914b7876144.jpg
    b58c47388734d1e21feac914b7876144.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 171
  • 3cb705c34747db8cabf1931077cc00ca.jpg
    3cb705c34747db8cabf1931077cc00ca.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 151
hi

have worked it out going to build approx. 5 ft high pillars 25 inch width x 33 inch depth so I have worked out I need 252 brick per pillar, this be correct?

I am going to put block down for founds and build pillars on this.

how much sand and cement would I need for this as in bags of cement and can get some sand delivered?

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Brickwork pillars alone are unlikely to be strong enough.

We concrete steel posts into the ground then brick around them. The posts have elongated welded hooks on them to deal with the brick surround. The whole lot is set up (gates and all) prior to concreting.

I am intending to install a sliding gate so the gate pillars will sit behind the brick pillars, only thing on the brick pillars will be wired lanterns as I will have a stand alone post box

was planning on installing 4 re bars at corners of each pillar as well

Hi

I have pillars now built with conduit up the centre for lanterns.

What type of electric cable would I neet to service the lanterns so I can put this in when i put caps on it for electrician.

Thanks

I have now got the caps on 1200mm square in buff colour.

When setting them on with teleporter the back edge got chipped on one of the caps.

Can this be patched in? If so what's best to use as they are buff colour.

Thanks

Probably years out of date but I once worked next to a sculptor, he was making a statue/memorial and I wandered in for a chat a few times to see progress

I asked "what happens if a bit flies off by accident?" And he said "araldite"

Maybe there's a more modern equivalent now

Probably years out of date but I once worked next to a sculptor, he was making a statue/memorial and I wandered in for a chat a few times to see progress

I asked "what happens if a bit flies off by accident?" And he said "araldite"

Maybe there's a more modern equivalent now

Still available and is a bonding product but don't have any of the cement as it crumbled.

When I worked at a grade 2 listed hotel we had " stonemasons" who used a special resin? coloured sand mix to repair patches of stone. HTH

When I worked at a grade 2 listed hotel we had " stonemasons" who used a special resin? coloured sand mix to repair patches of stone. HTH

Good to know but just wanted something that could maybe patch it.

Was thinking sand cement and dye but needs to be correct colour

I guess it depends on the size of the repair - it'll need something to attach to the main part - maybe holes drilled and stainless rods set in with resin - then a frame to hold the underside of the repair ? If you make your own s/c colour mix you could make a few measured samples and check colour when dried.

Is there an overhang?

I filled brick holes drilled in a noticeable place by drilling into suitable material and keeping the dust

If there is a an overhang you could drill out of sight upwards and catch the dust?

I mixed it with araldite and once done, while still sticky on the surface, added surface dust

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back