Drive way help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Been in my house 2 years now and want to finally sort out the drive at the rear. It’s a mix currently of a bit of concrete, loose gravel and earth. See pictures.

My plan was to keep it simple, however not sure if this would work. My plan was to weed the area and lay a membrane and then cover in an inch or so of large gravel.

The house is in no means my forever home so reluctant to spend lots of money on something that I could sell in 3 years.

Would this work? Or does anyone have any other ideas.

Cheers
CBC912B7-C852-4A27-A920-49609476435C.jpeg

DDFA760A-7C1A-4F8C-A9A1-16376BA5DF66.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Your idea of large gravel is a lot better than small gravel - that would end up in front of the drive in the road. But you need to put in kerb edging _ thin ones not roadway ones ;) to stop the gravel migrating - concrete them in with a small ramp up and down for the car to run over. Your idea of a thin layer is good too. My neighbour has about 100mm of the stuff and it's like trying to walk on a beach - not a drive but a walkway in front of his house - don't stop the postman cutting across though ! Have a look on the web at pavingexpert.com .

No need for an edge, ypu have one with the tarmac..
Just remove a bit of spoil at the tarmac, 50 60 mm so you get a bit of depth
Use 25mm granite for the gravel as that knits together and doesn't flirt all over.

Or type one MOT. Even better
That will compact very firm.

Sponsored Links
It is going to depend on what you are going to do with the space. If you are going to just use it as a walkway, dig out the weeds, treat heavily with killer, then membrane with at least 2 inches of gravel on flat level surface. You will need retainers cemented in as Lonner says.
If you are going to park a car, then you will need 6 inches of type 1, compacted down with smaller on top.

You could go really cheap, dig out weeds, flatten, lay membrane, add lots of sharp sand and reclaimed flags.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back