drivers for internet connection

Based on my experience (working for an ISP) if you can connect at all it's unlikely to be software related and is actually more likely to be one of a couple of things;

1. Your laptop is losing the signal and that's causing it to drop. You can verify whether this is the cause by checking the signal strength.

2. Your connection is unstable and is causing it to drop. It's worth checking with your ISP to make sure that your connection is 100% stable.

The other possibility is that your wireless card just isn't up to much, and it might be worth investing in a new wireless n dongle. They're relatively inexpensive and would also help with issue 1 above, but I'd rule out 2 before going down that route.

All the best

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Another possibility is that another wireless signal is blocking yours. A neighbour has not recently upgraded to wireless have they? If you downlaod and install inSSIDer (it's free) you will be able to see the channel your wireless LAN is using, and also those within range around you. If they are all on the same channel (most wireless routers are set to Auto by default) then there will be some interference, so set your wireless router to use a channel at least 3 below or three above the existing one. Give that a whirl, and let us know what happens.

All very much appreciated.....I hope I haven't forgotten anyone with my 'thanks'.

The strange thing is that since I have had a 'whinge' about it it has been much better....although I did try to take my laptop apart and may have jiggled something :)

Asra 99 yes I have changed the channels before now but you have also reminded me that my neighbour needs temporary internet and I have let them run a cable to my router it is about 50 metres long...if they are on the net will the signal drop :?: I just know you will say yes :eek:

no, if they are on a cable, it has nothing to do with the wireless so will not affect the wireless connection.

Sponsored Links
It wont cause the signal to drop, but it will certainly reduce the available bandwidth and make your connection slower.

Susiejb said:
Asra 99 yes I have changed the channels before now but you have also reminded me that my neighbour needs temporary internet and I have let them run a cable to my router it is about 50 metres long...if they are on the net will the signal drop :?: I just know you will say yes :eek:

This also leaves you open to a whole host of other issues and you should cease the practice asap.

Thank you, someone has kindly sent me a PM making me aware of the dangers so I have disconnected it, they have also offered third party assistance to sort out the problem once and for all, so thank you all for your help and suggestions they are all very much appreciated.

susie.

Back