Driveway curb cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recntly moved house and my new drive has high curb i have to bounce up.

I was thinking of cutting the curb at an angle to lessen the impact.

Is it ok to cut the curb in situ at a 45 deg angle, or should i try to lift the curb, cut it and then re lay it. The rest of the driveway is just concrete.

Thanks in advance!

GALLERY]

Pictures above are the best i've got at the min - from google maps

Sponsored Links
The only option you have to to get a dropped kerb. You will need permission for the Highways dept at the council, and they will require you to use an approved contractor to carry out the work.

At present you are technically committing an offence by driving over the footpath :!:

that's your kerb isn't it? they don't look like part of the footway to me.

kerb stones do cut quite well, but i personally wouldn't be keen on trying to cut them in situ - and i'm borderline certifiable. holding a grinder at that angle and not catching the blade is certainly doable, but not for the faint hearted.

to remove the stones might be a bit of a mission depending on how they were set (loose or haunched with concrete) and their size. if they do come out, consider replacing with a 4:1 concrete mix, packed into the hole and shaped as desired.

as for bumping up onto the pavement, that is not a good idea, but that wasn't your question, so i'll just say have fun :)

Sponsored Links
Those kerb stones are not the main roadside kerbs, and it does not look like they were fitted by the council.

Although they seem to be within the footpath, they do seem like they were fitted by the homeowner as part of the drive concreting

I would chisel them off by hand or with a SDS chisel, and you can smooth them off with the chisel or flauch over the rough cut with some 3:1 sharp sand cement

Apologies - I misunderstood the blurry images. I thought that was road tarmac - it is the pavement. Sorry.

Just be sure to reinstate the tarmac on the pavement afterwards or someone'll go after you when their little moppet falls off their trike as a result of your changes.

yeah sorry about the quality of the picture. it is the curb at the bottom of my drive. I just wanted to take some off it for getting the second car on the drive.

How difficult is it to chisel away at it?

Easy enough, though it'd be hard to do it neatly that way. Depends on how important you think neatness is to those around you. Ideally, you'd remove the kerb and replace it, but that's more than a quick job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back