Driveway - Dig it up or just pave over it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and Happy Easter everyone,

This is our current driveway:

View media item 59135
As you can see it's not pretty. I'd like to replace the driveway with flags, but I not sure if I would need to get a breaker and dig the old drive up first (it's ugly but solid) or whether I could just lay a suitable bed and the lay flags over it?

Not sure if you can see from the photo but the drive slopes about 300mm towards the house over it's length. I thought I could dig up the first meter or two and dig the base down a bit further so the new drive remains flush with the level of the path.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sorry photo is wrong way up, but even when I rotate the original image it still comes out upside down after uploading the the forum.

If I was doing it on my own house, and I was satisfied that it woukd go nowhere, I would pave over, (so long as the increase in height doesn't effect DPC's etc).

If I was doing it for a customer it would be a different story because I couldn't guarantee the base

Thanks for the reply.

Hadn't thought about the dpc at the house end of the drive, so thanks for that.

Might dig up both ends of the drive but pave over the middle section.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back