Driveway frustrations and questions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many years before I bought my house a previous owner dug out the raised front garden to make a drive. This wasn't done very well and I don't think that they got planning permission for it. The wall that holds up my neighbours front garden leans inward. (7cm from vertical) This has not moved since we moved in but my neighbour is very worried about it.

In discussing this with two separate builders. We have decided that the simplest way of dealing with this is to fill in the drive and return it to something like it was previously.... which would leave the wall still in its skewiff state but supported by concrete and hardcore. My question to all you helpful people is.. will I need planning permission for this? I have tried to get the info from the local councils planning department but cannot get any information out of them with out giving them money. All I can find on line is that the top of the new garden needs to allow water through.

Also... my neighbour is not happy with our plans and wants the wall straightened. She believes that it can be pushed back up right. I think to do this would be the best way to destroy the wall and to take the wall down and rebuild it would be more dangerous for her front garden (and house!?!) She has asked to see the plans and does not want the work to start before she has agreed to it. Surely she cannot request this???

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
a picture or two would help.
not every drive needs PP.
is the wall being pushed over onto your drive?

If you want to carry out works to your driveway that are all legal and above board it's got nothing to do with her. Sorting her wall out might be the easiest and cheapest option for you. Actually by the way she sounds maybe not the easiest.
Photo would help

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back