Driveway / Parking Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lawn at the front that I would like to convert to a parking area without going to the expense of laying a proper driveway.

There is a pathway that runs up the middle and crosses along the front of the house.

My plan would be to lift the grass and lay loose stones and cut away a section of the wall for an entrance.

I am not sure what layers I need to put down under the loose stones or which stones I should use. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Sponsored Links
If you are going to park a car on what was a lawn, you cannot take short cuts. You will need to put a proper base down before any dressing, otherwise you car will sink into the mud. Lots of fun in the winter trying to remove it from the muddy bog that was once your front lawn. :LOL:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/Drive.htm

Couldn't agree more, the bit of the driveway that you see is simply the top decoration. All the important stuff is in the layers below. this site gives loads of advice. It is imperative that a good base is provided, otherwise as has been said, you simply end up with a swamp in front of your house.

thanks to both of you. :D :D

Looks like I can use these sources of info to kick the project off.

Sponsored Links
Back again and still no driveway. Decided to take a few months off the DIY but ready to go again. I have a clear series of steps but I am trying to get some costs of the options.

I have a cost of £98 per 10 SQ M for loc bloc. The other option that I am considering is concrete. I have access to a cement mixer so I only need the cost of materials.

I am struggling to get a price of cement. Need to cover 70 SQ M.

Thanks Guys........

maybe I should have said mono block. everytime I call someone and mention mono block they seem to refer to lock block.

andycoull said:
maybe I should have said mono block. everytime I call someone and mention mono block they seem to refer to lock block.

By this you mean block paving from what I can gather?

I have a cost of £98 per 10 SQ M for loc bloc. The other option that I am considering is concrete. I have access to a cement mixer so I only need the cost of materials.

Seems a reasonable price for non trade. Do you know what make it is and if this includes VAT?

I am happy enough that I have a competitive price for the paving. What I need is a ball park figure for the cost of the cement.

My next questions are going to be pros and cons of cement vs paving.

Thanks for your patience !!

If you look at a mixture of 5:1 (ballast : OPC) then all you need do is calculate the cubic volume and find out how much local suppliers will charge for that much ballast. Work out how much OPC you need and theres your price.

Blocks you need to work out how much crushed concrete you need and how much sharp sand and then, again, find out how much local suppliers will charge for these materials.

There really is no way of knowing unless you do these calculations!

My next questions are going to be pros and cons of cement vs paving.

Concrete is ugly : blocks look better

Blocks will get some moss/weeds/grass between them (easy to clean out) : concrete wont!

Hope this helps!

Andy, the site mentioned previously has all the necessary claculators and tables you should need. It also has lists of suppliers, costs of blocks. WRT concrete as a surface, as has been said, its dead ugly, and can crack. Best of british.

nstreet said:
..... you cannot take short cuts......

In France ..... (do I hear a moan or is that a groan?) they sell a great concrete block that is intended for just such use. It is perforated for infill with whatever you choose, gravel, grass, whatever. It is strong and withstands the weight of most household cars/uses. It is also large enough to not require a great deal of prep, depends on the volume of use.

I know these exist in the UK but I've only ever seen the naff plastic variety which I would never suggest except for the weight of a pushbike!

Not sure how much value this may be as you are going down a different (solid) road but it is an answer to your original post.

Have you thought of just having a pea shingle top surface with a paved path for foot traffic? Very cheap and easy to adapt although you may get some trodden into the house. Still needs a good firm base though.

Moderator note

please dont reply to old posts see rule 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back