Driveway planning

I’ve only dug to a depth of 1 metre when installing new water pipe and was still clay at this depth yeah

Sponsored Links
I’ve only dug to a depth of 1 metre when installing new water pipe and was still clay at this depth yeah

OK, I just wondered if you might be able to drill through the clay to provide the essential drainage to below that level.

I have 2 soakaways the full depth of this digger arm. Helpful neighbours informed the council, the highways agency, the environmental agency and the water board.
Whatever you do make sure its legal.

9EA13734-0258-4A0F-A222-8C75F7F3817E.jpeg
844F19E8-5AE7-400B-808B-5E1FF2683B5F.jpeg
Mine is and I have the approval of the council, highways agency, environmental agency and water board. :D:D:D

Hi did the council etc respond to the reports from neighbours did they come to check works, I would struggle with the soakaway as regs state it must be 5 metres away from property

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would struggle with the soakaway as regs state it must be 5 metres away from property
Building regulations don't apply to driveways.

But going by previous posts, a soakaway is not needed, and a soakaway won't do anything anyway, so I'm confused why it's still being mentioned.

Thanks woody that’s my thoughts aswell that a soakaway wouldn’t work so trying to work out what other options I have to drain the water

Hi did the council etc respond to the reports from neighbours did they come to check works, I would struggle with the soakaway as regs state it must be 5 metres away from property

The various agencies came after the initial work was all completed and my “helpful but anonymous neighbour” was just trying all the avenues to moan about the work being undertaken. The agencies were happy with photos showing what had been done and put it down to basically the natural conditions, clay, underground stream, ancient ponds etc.

The grounds work guy was not happy with the amount of water still running off the drive so had already said he would open it up again. Dug the second soak away and altered the run of the catchment gulley which remedied the problem.

My point was that if you do things by the book then you cant be taken to task and take lots of photos so you can show what has been undertaken.

So does anyone know the alternative to a soakaway when soakaway won’t work because of clay and I have no surface water drain on my land to direct the water to only a combined sewer manhole thanks

So does anyone know the alternative to a soakaway when soakaway won’t work because of clay and I have no surface water drain on my land to direct the water to only a combined sewer manhole thanks
Pay a levy to have your water company take the surface water away for you - i.e. drain it into the nearest sewer drain.

I do pay a charge currently to water company as I have a combined sewer if I go down this route will it require planning permission or am I best to just put a pipe into sewer manhole and say nothing

I do pay a charge currently to water company as I have a combined sewer if I go down this route will it require planning permission or am I best to just put a pipe into sewer manhole and say nothing
Planning permission will not be required, though you may have to make a Building Regulations application (drains connection). Have your latest water company bill handy to show the fee payments relating to combined usage.

I was under the impression if you couldn’t drain your driveway to a soakaway then planned by permission would need to be applied for

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back