Driveway question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, im new here but loving the site, just in the process of moving house and planning to put a double extension on the side of the property, the house has a very big garden because it has been extended onto the wasteland at the side which in the deeds belongs to the property, only think is in the deeds its says the land have to kept as grass land?? will i have to go through planning to apply to put a drive on it?? or would you maybe just do it when the extension is built?

Sponsored Links
the restriction in the deeds may have been put on it by the original developer. If you are that worried you can trace them and send them a letter informing them of what you intend to do. We had the same thing with our house, very easy to sort out, thats even if the original developer still is in existence.

thanks pal, yeah think ill chase them up when i get my drawings done for the extension... what do you think youll have to do if they do not longer exsist?

if the developer is out of business, and you cannot trace anyone in connection to the covenant.
best advise would be talk to your solicitor ,as you can pay a one off premium to over ride the covenant(a bit like an insurance policy) so if there was any future come back, your covered. We have used this method in the past for different issues but believe it would also cover this.

Sponsored Links
do you have a rough idea how much it would cost? not moved into the house yet hopefully in the next couple of weeks, do you think its worth mentioning it now or wait till i move in?

definitely worth a mention now, as solicitor is already under instruction may save (ie min fees etc) not fully sure on cost but if mem serves it was around £200 for our particular case,
the deeds should indicate as to who put any restrictions or covenants on the said piece of land. hope this helps and good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back