neighbors driveway footings question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We're thinking about having the driveway block paved in the near future,
Our neighbours property is higher than ours and has a raised driveway which was cast from concrete in the 1950's. Part of the footings extend onto our property by approx 150mm in places and about 50mm from our ground level.

IMG_20200822_114620.jpg IMG_20200822_123030.jpg

Can this be cut back by the block paver to allow us to pave closer to the boundary?

We do not have a good relationship to our neighbours since we had an extension built, so want to be 100% before we have anything done.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a low brick boundary wall, as water and mud will run onto your drive in rainy weather.

Can also look smarter than the side of their concrete.

I'd go for a low brick boundary wall, as water and mud will run onto your drive in rainy weather.

Can also look smarter than the side of their concrete.

Thanks for the reply,

The neighbours have had the driveway block paved and I believe it's got a lip so we don't get run off. Will have to go check now to confirm.

We had the idea of putting battens against the concrete and maybe cladding but a small wall does sound a good idea but it would still require cutting back the concrete to get it tight up to their side without it looking a bit sh*te as the concrete comes out quite far and is above ground level on our side.

I just wondered if there was any rules about cutting back the footings, they are very big and we'd only need to cut down a few cm so that they can't be seen from our side.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If its on your land then I can't see why not.

I was tempted to give building control a call to ask but I don't think they'd know and it would probably open up a can of worms by asking as I'm then on the radar.

Would be nice to at least cut it flush as it means kerb edging all along one side which would take a lot of room if the concrete isn't cut.

Cutting it flush is allowed as it is on your property, cutting it flush will not make any difference to what its doing.
If your neighbour whinges about it, ignore them and get on with it - its your property to do with as you please.

You can tell them some random guy on the internet said "Go for it". :)

I'd like to say I'm that brave but she's the type that would take me to court if any cracks appeared in her concrete. It's already cracked in places and I've taken photos just in case they should ever be needed.

I don't think the concrete is straight to our property anyway as it was cast in stages, would require edging and a small gravel strip to get it straight.

I could do with something official stating that if it's on my property I can use a Stihl saw against it with no implications!

It's not a footing, and nothing to do with building control. You can cut it and should not be worrying about it or creating any drama in thinking about it.

Why even tell the neighbours and create an issue from something that is nothing?

Why even tell the neighbours and create an issue from something that is nothing?

Reason being is that we've had prior run ins with the neighbours and we had to get the police involved which ended up with a forced apology from said neighbour, she's now on the war path and will be looking for something like this as she doesn't have anything else to to fill her day.

I'm quite happy to cut the concrete back but if there is any legal standing on her part I want to be covered as I agree it's on my property.

Last edited:
The only law you need to obey is to do the cutting between 8 and 5 Mon-Fri, and suppress the dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back