Driveway Wall - Over 1 meter high, next to highway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This may be a really basic question, looked at my local planning site and they don't allow questions, only submitting of an application - happy to do this but trying to get a better understanding first.

My drive currently has a fence and hedges. I am wanting to build a wall, as the road slopes downwards it may be over 1 meter in some areas. The planning website states you need permission

it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere;

So I understand the first part, and lets say if I can get it below 1 meter, does a highway mean directly onto the road, or path? Mine is fence / path / road where I guess the path is of standard width.

This is the bit that is probably obvious, but does that mean the wall is next to a highway? Can't find much on what the distance is between "next to a highway"?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A footpath is a highway/is part of the highway.

IIRC, the distance to define "adjacent to" can depend on several factors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back