Want to install new fence - do I need planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This might sound dumb, but I'm new to the world of BR and permissions.

I want to install a new fence & gate, 6 feet high, across the back of my driveway.

The rules say a fence doesn't need planning permission if;
it is next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway) and it would not exceed one metre in height (from ground level);

My fence is taller than one metre. What constitutes "next to"? My driveway is next to the road (obviously) the fence would go along the back of it. As a result, the fence would be 7.8 meters away from the road.

1675863421182.png

Is that ok?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That would be fine assuming your property posses all of it permitted development rights (note many new houses built say since 1990 don't) and you don't live in an Article 4 Direction area.

2-3 panels at the most. I'd just do it even if there might be restrictions. It's not an expensive job and at worst in the unlikely event there is some reason you shouldn't and someone complains, you'd have to reduce the height. Of course, if you know you have restrictions and also e.g. neighbour from hell, then perhaps not....

2-3 panels at the most. I'd just do it even if there might be restrictions. It's not an expensive job and at worst in the unlikely event there is some reason you shouldn't and someone complains, you'd have to reduce the height. Of course, if you know you have restrictions and also e.g. neighbour from hell, then perhaps not....
Neighbours are fine with it. I'm not aware of any restrictions but I've gone ahead and sent an enquiry to the council / LPA anyway. No idea when I'll get a response though. Their webpage seems to mostly be about explaining how everything is delayed forever.

Sponsored Links
Neighbours are fine with it. I'm not aware of any restrictions but I've gone ahead and sent an enquiry to the council / LPA anyway. No idea when I'll get a response though. Their webpage seems to mostly be about explaining how everything is delayed forever.
I hope you local planning authority aren't like mine. I tried to get some general planning advice but was told that the planning team "don't provide free planning advice". I was told to fill in a form, pay some money and wait for someone to respond. Needless to say I didn't bother.

I hope you local planning authority aren't like mine. I tried to get some general planning advice but was told that the planning team "don't provide free planning advice". I was told to fill in a form, pay some money and wait for someone to respond. Needless to say I didn't bother.
I did contact them and was told...

"We can only offer informal advice as part of the duty officer service but my advice would be that a fence that is 7.8 metres back from the road would not be considered adjacent to the highway"

I'm confused how the planning department can only offer informal advice, but I guess "formal" advice only comes like you say.

Because they have to, they cannot issue you with a categorical answer unless issued as part of a formal planning decision. Really though you'll be OK here.

Incidentally I do recall one appeal case where the appellant won on the basis of informal advice they were given by the local authority.

Yeah, I'm going to carry on. I'm glad I learned how and who to contact, though. I hear some people who just say they're not going to bother and just do stuff. Personally, I'd rather engage with a department, check things are going to be OK, and minimize any unwanted surprises or hassle in the future.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back