Driving Licence Lost in Washer Dryer (Possibly)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hotpoint: AQM8F 49I Washer Dryer

Wife reckons a driving licence (new credit card style, not old paper) is stuck in the washing machine. She seems to remember it being in a trouser pocket, and forgot to take it out.

After a batch of washing there was a "slight noise" and now she can not find the driving licence :(

Diagnostics
1. I have run fingers along the inner and outer drum and examined the seal. It is not in there
2. The drum has been spun manually and there is no rattle, click or dragging
3. I tipped the machine sideways 45' to remove the drum drain tube. There is nothing in the tube and nothing in the bottom end of drum.
4. I shone a bright light underneath and can not see a silhouette of the card anywhere.

Have I missed a diagnostic routine, such as tilting it in all 3 dimensions to hear if the licence does drop somewhere? Is there anything else I can do after removing the drum drain tube?

Options

1. It is possible that the card was never in there. It could be lost elsewhere, fell into washing basket, bin, anything. All I know is that we can not find it.

For that reason we could ignore it and just order a new drivers licence. We could carrying on using the washer dryer with the belief that it may not be in there, or if it is it will eventually work it's way out or at least indicate to us it is in there. I am apprehensive about this - especially if use the dryer facility as surely it would melt, possibly burn and ignite?

2. Call out engineer. It is 3 or 4 year old and we do have a maintenance contract with D&G. I have not yet checked the T&C to see if this is covered so it may be free, or it may involve cost.

As I have already removed the drain hose and inspected this would mean the engineer would have to totally remove the drum? This could be very expensive and itself not covered by the warranty.

3. Scrap it and buy a new one. Take it outside, totally strip it down myself and find the damn thing. This would be the most satisfying, conclusive, and safest but also the most expensive.

Sponsored Links
Order a new licence & when it arrives you are sure to find the other one.

Yes that seems perfectly feasible!

I just put it back together and set it on a rinse and spin. No wrong noise, no block, no fault code.

Is it possible the previous load had totally shredded the card to bits, and that it drained away?

Anything that is missing from my pockets I always seem to find under the seat of the car, or down the side. Worth a look anyhow.

Sponsored Links
Check the filter and remove the sump at the bottom of the drum. It might be in there.

Yep already done that as in Diagnostic => 3. above.

Just put a load in it and it's working fine. As to where the licence is. Who knows.

anywhere else the clothes may have been hung or handled
also under surrounding cupboards
my thoughts are fallen out bounced or kicked under out off sight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back