Drones or quadcopters

I bought a Hubsan X4 a few years ago to find out what all the fuss was about. Much fun was had by grandad & his loyal followers for a few days, but unless you are seriously into making home movies to a Hollywood standard then it just becomes a willy waving contest.

Sponsored Links
Ahh just a toy one then!

At the time if getting mine the P3 advanced only had a 2.7k HD camera and it was only the P3 professional that had the 4k ultra HD camera but just recently they've released an advanced with the 4k for the same price..........arghhh!

Also just released is the phantom 4 which now has collision avoidance software, watch the youtube vids, its a tool and a half

Interestingly it was only the collision avoidance thing that was stopping the CAA granting Amazon a permit to allow drone deliveries, won't be long now when you order for delivery within half an hour

Last edited:
Ahh just a toy one then!

At the time if getting mine the P3 advanced only had a 2.7k HD camera and it was only the P3 professional that had the 4k ultra HD camera but just recently they've released an advanced with the 4k for the same price..........arghhh!

Also just released is the phantom 4b now has collision avoidance software, watch the youtube vids, its a tool and a half

Interestingly it was only the collision avoidance thing that was stopping the CAA granting Amazon a permit to allow drone deliveries, won't be long now when you order for delivery within half an hour

There you go . . . just like lots of other hobbies, it all boils down to a willy waving contest.

Don't believe everything that you read on t'internets.

Physics dictates what Amazon can deliver using drones, not the CAA.

Sponsored Links
Well obviously they wouldn't deliver your double bed with one but the drones won't also be tiny either so parcels and small boxes should be ok

Well obviously they wouldn't deliver your double bed with one but the drones won't also be tiny either so parcels and small boxes should be ok

What is it we're buying that anything smaller than your average helicopter can't deliver today?

Physics dictates the size of the drone needed to deliver the weight of the parcel.

Bought a dog today, here it is being delivered

138f3e9ae0a3535e170954c0199a4196.jpg

Reason number one why these will be banned soon
No, it's not. A drone will be used in a successful UK terrorist attack that will be attributed to ISIS.

There will be a huge over reaction, and don't forget that we now have the most successful Home Secretary of all time as Prime Minister. Ms May will jump so far down your throats she'll probably emerge in Australia. You'll all be branded potential terrorists and crucified by the media as they drag up every recorded instance of a drone straying into restricted air space or flying over a school, power station or dog kennel. Have you forgotten the complete elimination of the UK gun market following the actions of one crazy man in Dunblane? As a result, the UK has now even made some Olympic sports illegal, upon pain of imprisonment. And you're all soft targets for emergency retrospective legislation.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't last for long...

Last edited:
Reason number one why these will be banned soon
No, it's not. A drone will be used in a successful UK terrorist attack that will be attributed to ISIS.

There will be a huge over reaction, and don't forget that we now have the most successful Home Secretary of all time as Prime Minister. Ms May will jump so far down your throats she'll probably emerge in Australia. You'll all be branded potential terrorists and crucified by the media as they drag up every recorded instance of a drone straying into restricted air space or flying over a school, power station or dog kennel. Have you forgotten the complete elimination of the UK gun market following the actions of one crazy man in Dunblane? As a result, the UK has now even made some Olympic sports illegal, upon pain of imprisonment. And you're all soft targets for emergency retrospective legislation.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't last for long...

So true! Wonder how long it will be before they ban lorries as it's been proven they can be used in terror attacks

Banning things clearly works... that's how terrorists in France used fully automatic rifles which are banned!! So they decided to push for a ban on semi automatic rifles which weren't used?!

Back on topic, my mates justbought a DJI phantom 3 standard... what a piece of kit it is!!

Screenshot_2016-05-29-20-57-55.png
Put some parabolic range extending antennas on my transmitter and it's tripled the range from stock, I flew out 10,000ft not long ago with full signal for tx and video just started flickering, I mistakenly turned away to take a screen shot and it automatically initiated return to home so I just sat back and waited for the GPS to do its thing, relieved to see it come back as it was gone for 17mins, still had 40% battery when landed though so I estimate probably over 15,000ft is achievable
Screenshot_2016-05-29-19-25-45.png

Last edited:
The Interpretation on Licensing is a bit confused due to the terminology in use.. There are 3 distinct things:
1. rules for drones equipped with cameras See The Air Navigation Order 2009
2. Intellectual property rights of the acquired images
3. rights to privacy

1. http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP 393 AUG16.pdf
2. the drone camera operator retains all intellectual property (IP) rights in the images, unless he has been commissioned (paid) to do the work or is carrying it out in the course of his employment. The IP holder is free to do as he or she pleases with the images and footage, though he should take note of the licenses granted to social media sites when uploading.
3. There is no right to privacy in the UK, you can take photos of anyone you please and do anything you like with the photos (taking account of point 1). However, they should be aware that Voyeurism is a criminal offence as per Sexual Offences Act 2003, s.67 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/section/67 and using a drone to harass people would also be a problem see : http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1997/40/contents

there is one exclusion to point 3, where the person has established that their image is a trade mark, then you have some difficulty publishing the images.. e.g. celebrities.

PS : great photos by the way

Sponsored Links
Back