Droning noise in central heating boiler

Sponsored Links
Hey Jo!
Is it an exhaust fan or a premix fan on that model?
:eek:
Erh? Wot??? A whatchamacallit????????? :confused:

It's a fan, innit?

No, wait, he does know what you mean, he just couldn't remember the word for it. :rolleyes:

You can't fool Joe, you know. It makes a noise, so it must be something moving. It ain't the pump, so it's gottabe the fan bearings.

Boilers are quite simple compared to cars; ask Joe, he'll tell you.

Sponsored Links
Oh my. I am following this with great interest - being one of those people who likes to UNDERSTAND THINGS. Anyway, this is what I am getting: it is probably the fan but if that does not work (it's a two hour job apparently) then it could be the heat exchanger. My, it's chatty here....

I don't think it is an ecotec. We got it just before / as the condensing option was available. Also, I think the plumber is a vaillant certified plumber but I just wanted to understand and feel a tad more eductated in getting to grips with my boiler/ch system. Thanks everyone. I'm listening!!!

Most people refer to RGIs as 'plumbers'.

The fact that he was in front of the boiler with the cover off listening - he could well have been a monkey and heard where the sound was coming from.

It was the FAN. Get over it and move on. :rolleyes:

So Joe is a clairvoyant now he knows it is the fan even though he hasn't seen the boiler. Whatever next? Telling fortunes? :rolleyes:

How many of the boilers have you seen that you talk about in the forum?

What we do know is that a Vaillent accredited RGI has stood in front of it and diagnosed it as the FAN.

Now either you are saying that he is completely incompetent or it its the FAN.

Now if it were me doing the testing the first thing I would do is measure the fan speed.

A fan with 'flutter' will slow considerably (simple physics) and the diagnosis would show that.

The days of running around with a grubby Henry are gone.

Get up to speed guys.

;)

"Now if it were me doing the testing the first thing I would do is measure the fan speed"
Been listening to Dozie at Angle again

It's a sure way to test it. I'm his acolyte.

How would you test it then gd?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back