droning valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a similar problem in my house. We have a combi and it is fed directly from the mains with no tanks. The problem appears to be central heating related though as the buzzing/droning only occurs when the heating is on (thank god it's summer!!!!). The sound is stopped by opening radiator valves wider near to where the buzzing is occuring. This is infuriating however as it means that the room gets waaaayyy too hot! It would also appear not to be the boiler as we had the entire boiler replaced last october and the noise was there before and after.... If anyone could help with this I would be very much obliged. It would save my sanity come winter time....

PS Bleeding the rads does not seem to make a difference.

MOD

see item 20

post has been split

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
trv on wrong end of rad :idea: :idea:

wrong end!? Didn't realise there was a wrong end? How would the end of the rad that it is mounted on make any difference?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

actually i see what you mean. You mean that the valve should be on the end where the water enters the rad. I was getting mixed up when I thought you meant that it needed to be on one end dependent on rad design. Just read that the problem could be due to increased pressure when a lot of TRVs are in a restricted state requiring the fitting of a pressure regulating valve. Would this help and if so are they pricey to buy and fit? Cheers again.

Sponsored Links
I have the exact same problem, but can I check this though.

The droning noise comes from different rads, and opening up a valve (any valve) stops it. Can this still be the TRV?

I got my system 12 months ago and has only just started the dreaded noise!

Ta as always

Jase

(should of added, last time I had this fixed the guy took the knob off and tapped the pin saying the pins get stuck and water does not pass through as it should. Can this be the problem?)
(Also been told to open up all valves to full and turn heating up to "blast them")

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back