Strange Heating Droning Noise

As your noise altered by playing with the trv`s . Why not take the heads off all of them for a day and see if the noise disappears. If it does you know it is the valves and if it stays you can then look elsewhere for the cause

Sponsored Links
Hi

I did mention that the motor valve has been replaced recently (as a seperate fault) and this didnt affect the noise.

I didnt mention the reason for that fall-out as I considered it not relevant and private but as I have no wish to be in the catagory of "The Worst", the fall out was due to broken promises both in what was fitted and also timeframe, damage done to our property (not related to the installation) an increase in a written quote of about 50%, refusing to come out to look at a problem because he insisted it would be the boiler.. and the boiler warranty guy found that the installer had left the loop rad valve half shut... and many other issues including being actually lied to on a number of occasions.
We paid a LOT of money for the installation. Its worth noting that this has happened to about 5 of our other friends with this same person. Honestly, we were not in any way at fault at any point.
We are still fixing some of the damage today. As part of my job I inspect buildings and construction works so please dont think that my critisisms are of things that are as normal, this situation was definately not and much upsetment and distress was caused sadly.
The reason we wont have him back to look at it is that it is my personal choice as I will not have him in our house again.

I know there are some 90degree bends and T-junctions under the floor in the location of the noise so this could be the issue with your suggestion of resonance, thanks for that. :)
Are 90degree bends considered to be sharp in terms of radiator plumbing though? (Or does it depend upon the bends location)

Cheers

BobSpoons

namsag said:
As your noise altered by playing with the trv`s . Why not take the heads off all of them for a day and see if the noise disappears. If it does you know it is the valves and if it stays you can then look elsewhere for the cause

Hi thanks,
but.. can the valves be causing the noise without themselves actually being at fault? IE increasing pressure or flow elsewhere in the system and causing a resonance.
Thus if we then replaced them, the fault would still remain as it would not be within the TRV's
Not sure myself but its still an interesting experiment to try.
Cheers

PS: Even though playing with the TRV's got rid of the noise, it crept back after 15mins or so without us touching the TRV's (But this may be due to the temp affecting the open/close position of the TRV)

Still confused :)

Bobspoons

Its not common to have water flow causing resonance in pipes but that depends on exactly how the joints are made and the exact layout etc.

It is most often encountered in mains water pipes where the pressure and flow rates are much higher than in a heating system. Its very infrequent and I was only making a suggestion as to a possible cause as a last resort if its nothing else.

It is much more likely to be mechanical resonance of the pipework induced by the pump. This sometimes happens when the pipework has not been properly clipped or otherwise supported. Holding the pipe firmly at resonance points will usually stop it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Its not common to have water flow causing resonance in pipes but that depends on exactly how the joints are made and the exact layout etc.

It is most often encountered in mains water pipes where the pressure and flow rates are much higher than in a heating system. Its very infrequent and I was only making a suggestion as to a possible cause as a last resort if its nothing else.

It is much more likely to be mechanical resonance of the pipework induced by the pump. This sometimes happens when the pipework has not been properly clipped or otherwise supported. Holding the pipe firmly at resonance points will usually stop it.

Tony

Thanks Tony
I think ill have a look under the floor while the noise is happening and see if I can locate the exact position and grab hold of it.

The position under the floor where it is coming from is a particular location of a number of junctions and when the installer first fitted it it wouldnt work. He scratched his head for a long time and then alterd some parts and the heating worked.

Thanks again

BobSpoons

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back