Dropped door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Any body know how straighten an exterior door that has dropped at the lock side. The door is timber with 9 small glazed panels in the top half and 3 long vertical ply(?) panels in the bottom half. I want to raise the lock side by about 6 to 7mm.

The top rail (transom?)joints to the side rails appear good, the paint over the mid and bottom rails to side rail vertical joints are both cracked and bottom ply panels joints also appear cracked (least ways the paint is).

The timber of the door itself appears to be in good condition and the friend i'm doing the job for can't afford a new door and frame. Bottom of the door frame sides and threshold were rotten but i've replaced those.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
check theres no play on the top hinge
is the gap between the frame and door even both sides at the top or more on the hinge side

although 6mm at the lock side is a lot as the top would have to move 12mm at the top hinge to give 6mm underneath

if you grab the handles will the front lift[loose joins]

If paint cracked door may have failed joints, replacement is then only option.

The door hinges appear ok but the frame was a bit pi**ed which i've now straightened, while replacing the rotten threshold and bottom of side rails, the frame header was level as was the hinge side of the frame.

I can lift the door to get a small amount of what I need but I think as the door is quite old, dirt and crap that has got into the joints has been painted in over the years which could be what's stopping me lifting it fully.

The door to frame gaps were all to cock (lots of draft excluder of various types used) but they are now much better.

I dare say if I drove some wedges in undernearth the door I could get what i'm after but i'm reluctant to do that in case I cause more damage than its worth, but then when the wedges are removed to use the door it will drop again.[/list]

Sponsored Links
all you can do is clean out all the joins that are loose back to bear wood fill with glue as best you can clamp tight and square drill some 8mm holes through the mortices stopping 2mm from the face off the door and knock in 40mm dowels
if there is no mortice and tenons throw the door away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back