Dropping rads

2scoops0406

I think this has been answered before, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. The situation is this

Our lounge needs redecorating. Previously it was wallpapered, some time after this, we had central heating installed. I now need to temporarily drop the rads from the wall so that I can remove the wallpaper and redecorate. Is is possible to drop the rads without having to drain the whole system down? If so how do you go about it?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Yes you can, there are 2 ways one of which would require a partial refill.

Turn off both rads valves.

Have a towel and plactic tray handy (I use cat litter tray with notched cut out for rad tails). Crack the nuts on each tail ever so slightly so you get a tiny drip.

If you have enough play in the pipework you should be able to then lift the rad off the bracketts and lay rad down to the floor.

This then sends the water away from the rad tails. If you have the room you can then leave it there while you decorate, not forgetting to tighten up the nuts.

If you need the room, then you should be able to undo the nuts all the way and stand the rad on its top without any water coming out. Carry the rad out and drain it (may as well flush with hosepipe while off) when finished decorating, reattach rad and refill.

Hope this makes sense.

Rico

the only thing i would add to rico's post, if you are going to leave the rad connected put a box or something similar under the rad at the wall end to support it rather than have the weight of the rad straining the pipes

Sponsored Links
Rather than a tray we always use a heavy duty plastic bag without holes to drain rads into. Nice and flexible and easy to get round the valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back