Dry bonding out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Just practicing building a roughly 3x2 metre shed using cavity wall construction, I'll be using practice mortar once I've figured out the bond so it's not a permanent structure. I'm finding it really difficult to dry bond out the inner leaf block work with outer leaf brick work such that the the ends are flush allowing a cavity closure to sit on the end and then the door frame. Any ideas where I'm going wrong with the dry bonding no matter what I try it seems to just be out by a wee bit. The cavity space is 100mm and I'm alternating 100mm blocks on the block corners. Any advice about how to go about doing this correctly is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any books or links explaining block work bonds used in the uk? Brickwork too, but mainly on when to use half bats and 3/4 bricks etc in stretcher bond not how to do english or quetta bond etc. Figuring out the correct bond work for stretcher is hard enough, it's a right royal pain.

I'm curious as to why a cavity construction for such a small shed. You also say 'roughly' 2x3m. Why not just make it work blocks?

Sponsored Links
Jeds, I'm a novice at bricklaying, I can do a decent stretcher bond garden wall with piers and corner returns etc I'm trying to take that up a level to doing cavity walls, which I can do when its just a straight wall or a single simple corner return, I 'm taking that a step up to doing a shed type build using practice mortar so once I've practiced I'll take it down. It's just a way to learn how to do a four sided cavity building, it won't actually be used as a shed, it won't even have a roof.

Thanks for the advice Stuart I suppose cutting the inner leaf blocks makes more sense than faffing about with the outer leaf bricks, leading to a more pleasing appearance.

Ideally the face work is set out to the frames first and then the blockwork is put up to match it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back