Dry Hip - Is this OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Having a mechanical vented ridge and hip system installed. I captured this image of the hip batten being installed. They have cut away a lot of the tile to fit the batten, but there are still some areas where the batten touches a tile resulting in the batten not being straight. I understand there is another batten to go on top of this which will take out the waviness of the batten shown in the picture.
Just wondered if what you can see was acceptable? Appreciate your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_4136.jpeg
    IMG_4136.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Now I'm no roofer, but I'd expect the batten would be straight ideally, seems they've just been lazy with not chipping away any/enough of the tiles to allow it to run true but if a (presumably) wider batten is going on top that will be straight then I don't see a problem provided they get a good fixing into the banana batten. Not a brilliant photo tbh but seems like lazy working to me.

Tiles on a hip are never straight cut they are a pain to do ...so the bottom batten will have to follow the tile line. The top one will be straighter but just what that has to do with a dry hip is a bit moot. Look at the diagram below the underskirt for the hip is much wider that the batten, it will be straight and it just needs a bit of packing, that's all that those battens are...packing for the skirt. The capping and skirt is the bits you want straight.
1659000230467.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back