Dry lining back boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of double sockets that we installed into a dry lined wall and they are dropping to bits and the screws aren't holding in them.

I've bought some new boxes to replace them. A friend of mine suggested to put a bit of glue onto the lip to stick them to the plastered wall. Is this something worth doing? Does it work? What glue would I use and how would I do it?

I guess it would steady up the box and make it easy to screw the lugs into the backs?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
For what reason will they not stay fixed?
Is your plasterboard in good order and are you bring the screw lugs back to the lock in position when you have pushed the box back, this can be difficult if your plasterboarded walls have had plenty of skims on it!

Thanks for that.

Yeah the walls are in good condition so I should be ok I guess?

I've bought TLC ones so the quality should be pretty good?

So it's best to put the cable through first, push the box into the wall, pull the lugs forward, wire the socket and then screw the socket front on?

Thanks

I am sorry I don't really understand what the problem is, is it possible to post a couple of photos of the boxes that are coming apart. I think if you do this then there will be plent of people here that will help you

Sponsored Links
Normally you shouldn't need any glue or adhesive for a dry-line box.

The Appleby ones are a good make.

So it's best to put the cable through first, push the box into the wall, pull the lugs forward, wire the socket and then screw the socket front on?
Thanks
Once hole is cut in board, make sure you have folded lugs so they are within box and have a knock-out hole for cable entry, then feed cable in to box.
Push box back in to wall, being careful that cable does not become trapped, so a slight tilt of box, in favour of cable. Make sure box flange/edges are tight up to boards, then push lugs sideways till almost flat and lock them in by bringing them forward, the screws should then not be a problem.

Just tighten the screws normally and you should be all right - sometimes the brass screw thread comes adrift from the plastic surround - when that happens all you can do is replace the whole back box or pull out the offending plastic lug and replace with one from another back box.

PJ

Photos?

If you have some skim or paint in the brass inserts, you need to give them a clean.

The screws must be screwed in straight and parallel. Some of the cheaper back boxes are not forgiving.

Make sure you dress your cables neatly - The screws should not be 'pulling' the socket together to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back