Dry Lining Corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help!

I have just had a conservatory built and now need to plaster the internal walls. As I understand it plastering is a tricky business for the DIYer so I have decided to Dry Line the walls and paint directly onto the boards.

I have searched numerous internet sights and seem to have all the info I need to start. What I cannot find is any information regarding dry lining external corners. Do I just butt the boards against each other or can I use some sort of beading to protect the corner.

Sponsored Links
You can't just paint straight onto the boards as all the joints and screw heads will be visible. You will need to either plaster skim the whole face of the boards or tape and joint (which just invloves filling the joints between boards).

Specifically on external corners, overlap one board over the other. If you are skimming, you need to apply a metal corner skim bead and if you are taping you can use either the same metal bead or corner tape which is a paper tape with metal reinforcement in it.

nico123 said:
can I use some sort of beading to protect the corner.
You will need some sort of protection as the plasterboards are easily knock on corner, as you say you can buy plastic external corner or could make one of wood and colour match etc. Use Gripfill to fix it.

Sponsored Links
If you are using tapered edge plasterboards (which I would assume you are, as you wish to tape and fill) then make sure that the edges that butt into the external corner are both tapered edges. If they are cut edges then you will end up with the corner projecting slightly above the surface of the boards.

Look carefully at what boards you buy. I bought a load of Wickes plasterboards (I believe made by Knauf) and the tapered edge was so slight that I honestly thought they had sent me square-edge! The taper was useless and I ended up having to get a plasterer in to skim the boards anyway.

I had some brilliant TE boards before, I think they were British Gypsum. Anyway, they had a decent taper on them.

Thanks guys.

Your replies have been most helpful and I feel a lot more confident about tackling this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back