Hiding heating pipes in dry lined walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I have dry lined walls in the house i've just bought and want to hide the ugly pipes that run down the corner of the wall in the front room.

I have cut out a channel of the plaster board behind the pipes, which just leaves the breeze blocks behind now.

Can I plaster straight on top of the pipes so it's flush with the rest of the wall or am I going to have to channel out some of the blockwork (so the pipes sit back into the wall more) so I can put some fresh plasterboard infront of the pipes and then plaster on top of the plasterboard... does that make sense?

I'm worried that if I don't have something separating the pipes from the new plaster that the heat from the pipes will crack the new plaster...

thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd do the latter. Plastering over pipes may cause the plaster to crack as the pipes expand when hot and will crack the plaster because, unlike the pipes, plaster isn't flexible.

I'm no plumber, but AFIK there can be problems with the chemicals in plaster corroding the copper of the pipes over time, and ultimatly resulting in a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back