Dry lining wall boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had two scenarios with dry lining boxes where the sockets (and switches) fit on top of the box hence away from the wall where you can see the box between the wall and socket and other times where the socket fits over the box and flush with the wall.

Which is it supposed to be? I would have said that the socket should fit over the wall box but this seems to be on rare occasions as more often than not sockets will fit on the top and you can see the box edge which looks untidy...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In perfect world, dry lining box goes in ontop of plaster board and before skim plaster. And skim plaster then covers and hides edge if box.

In perfect world, dry lining box goes in ontop of plaster board and before skim plaster. And skim plaster then covers and hides edge if box.
And as soon as you even look at the box the plaster on the flange of the box flakes off and looks even worse..........

Reactions: SFK
Sponsored Links
does mean you have to be more accurate cutting the hole though...............................................damhikt
Last year I wired a socket for a jeweller/watchmender, while I sorted the wiring he cut out the hole for the dry liner, took him 30 minutes mind but it was bang on square and a perfect fit.

I dry lined my extension and had bought over ten of these boxes for sockets and switches. After the first few I decided to give them away and use the 25mm metal backboxes instead. Much better and no cracking plaster.

The boxes will be going in a variety of positions some of which will be ok to put noggins (the ones in internal partition walls) but I won't have that luxury on some external walls where there will be sound insulation followed by thermal insulation hence thinking now about all the potential issues with the dry lining boxes... On all boxes though I would have to trim away the insulation on the plasterboard as most only fit 20mm thick plaster board.

I liked the sound of putting them in before plastering but also wondered about the cracking so thanks for confirming that.

The boxes for flat plate accessories look good but hard to see what stops them falling through - It looks like the half moon shapes

And as soon as you even look at the box the plaster on the flange of the box flakes off and looks even worse..........
The idea is that you plaster to the edge of the flange, not over it. ie the skim coat is the same thikness of the flange

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back