Dry Pack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well first post here... I have my design for removing load bearing walls and inserting a universal beams. I can see on the project that I'm going to need 40mm dry pack mortar (1:3) between the beam and the wall above. I was trying to look through the forum what the dry pack is exactly but not 100% sure. Is is a mix of cement (any kind or some specific one?) with fine sand in ratio 1:3? Can you buy anything like this which is already pre-mixed (in Wickes, B&Q etc)? If not what cement and what sand I should use? Any links to the product pages will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) and building sand. The sand should be damp, rather than dry, otherwise you will be attempting to pack powder into the gap.
40mm is a rather big gap for dry pack, though.

Thanks for the info, well that's what on the design, have look at the relevant section, hope I'm reading it right :)

drypack.jpg

Oh and just to confirm, only damp sand and cement, no extra water should be added yeah? What is the desired texture of drypack?

Sponsored Links
Hi turexy;
You read it right, but the detail is rubbish.
Ask the person who drew it to explain how you ram in the dry pack when you can't get anything in between the top flange and the bottom of the joist to ram with.
The steel should be higher up, directly under the masonry.
Typical amateur detail.

Thanks Tony,

This is just a small detail of slightly larger project. It was done by a structural design office in Reading. Here are the remaining drawings, if you think this is still bit dodgy I'll talk to them on Monday

floor.jpg

hollow.jpg

Normally, you would put wet mortar on the beam and then push it up under the wall leaving a 10mm joint.

A 40mm is wrong

Hi,

Well first post here... I have my design for removing load bearing walls and inserting a universal beams. I can see on the project that I'm going to need 40mm dry pack mortar (1:3) between the beam and the wall above. I was trying to look through the forum what the dry pack is exactly but not 100% sure. Is is a mix of cement (any kind or some specific one?) with fine sand in ratio 1:3? Can you buy anything like this which is already pre-mixed (in Wickes, B&Q etc)? If not what cement and what sand I should use? Any links to the product pages will be much appreciated.

I have a few concerns about what you want to do, Are you doing it yourself? If you have to ask basic question as to what sand mix to use I have severe reservations about your skills, there are far to many accidents in the building industry, KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS!

You can't just rip out a load bearing wall, you require acro props and boots or a few props either side taking the weight of the floors above, minimum four acros, two with boots for a small aperture and as woody says put a bed of muck on top of the lintel then wind it up with the other two acros and bed the lintel in on the pad stones.

Helo Pred,

I fully understand your concerns and NO I'm not going to do this myself I wouldn't dare. The project will be handled to builders but I'm the kind of person who like to know stuff. I was just looking at the drawings and I was curious what is what and how, hence my basic questions here.

Helo Pred,

I fully understand your concerns and NO I'm not going to do this myself I wouldn't dare. The project will be handled to builders but I'm the kind of person who like to know stuff. I was just looking at the drawings and I was curious what is what and how, hence my basic questions here.

That's a relief, take my advice, your curiosity should firstly be to ask the builders; tea or coffee, you look after them and they'll look after you, you would be amazed how far a few doughnuts will go.

fine sand in ratio 1:3? Can you buy anything like this which is already pre-mixed...
Not fine sand! It should be sharp building sand. It needs to be fairly dry - so a handful of mix squeezed in your fist holds together in a ball. There are premixed grouts available and they have the advantage of being non shrink. I doubt you'll find them in B&Q. Travis would have them. As Tony says It's not clear how you are going to pack that beam with the joists running alongside?

From that section AA, the wall will be propped from above the joists and the brickwork in between the joists will drop out anyway. Making good will be done from above and the packing will be above the upper floor level not between the joists, as in that nonsense drawing

Otherwise packing is as described in post #7

Thanks guys for your advice, I'll take it to my structural engineer and as for some explanations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back