Padstone mortar packing designation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Could someone advise me on the mortar designations for packing round a steel beam that rests on PS Concete padstones, and also the designation for the mortar to sit the padstones on.

I've heard the term 'dry pack', I assume this is what goes around the steel once its sitting on the padstone, and is mixed very strong but quite dry to avoid shrinkage.

I guess the mortar that goes under the padstones still needs to be strong - but workable, so I can level the pastone off, bearing in mind one of these is 900mm long !

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There should not be any mortar between the underside of the steel and the padstone; the bottom flange sits directly on the padstone.
Under the padstone (ie on the brickwork) use 1:3 cement:sand mortar, not too much water - just enough to make it workable.

Thanks, hopefully after 24/48 hours of curing the mortar and padstone will have bonded enough for me to then heave and push and slide the 300kg steel beam around on it to get its position right.

I found this text on dry pack:
dry pack mortar contains (by dry volume or weight) one part cement, 2 1/2 parts sand, and enough water to produce a mortar that will just stick together while being molded into a ball with the hands. The ball should neither slump when placed on a flat surface, nor crumble due to lack of moisture. Place dry pack mortar immediately after mixing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back