Dry ridge retro fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another post with regards to roofing!

We have a 15 year old house, and the mortar (where the gable-end wall meets the roof), is starting to fall out in places, exposing the batons.

We've had a quote for dry verge to be fitted, and I was surprised the roofer suggested that he would simply remove the mortar, and screw (with 6 inch screws) the plastics into the existing batons (currently hidden behind the mortar).

I was under the impression that to retro-fit dry verge you need to either extend the existing batons out past the brick, or fit baton lengths between the eaves and the ridge (again sticking out past the brick), and attach the dry verge to this.

Could any experts let me know their opinions on this?

Is it acceptable to simply screw into the existing batons, or should the steps I mentioned above always be followed?

Sponsored Links
Yes 6" screws will do it and they'll stay on. The only thing about doing it that way is it's hard to get them perfectly flat as they run up the verge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back